What next for Austin ACM SIGKDD?

David G. Boney

Mar 27, 2013, 4:48:57 PM3/27/13
to austin...@yahoogroups.com, Austin-ACM-...@meetup.com, aust...@googlegroups.com, semantic...@googlegroups.com
The series on MapReduce Design Patterns is going very well. We are having a good turnout at each meeting. We will complete all the design patterns by mid to late summer.

For our next endeavor, I was thinking Austin ACM SIGKDD could offer a course in the fall on Hadoop based machine learning using the book "Data-Intensive Text Processing with MapReduce" by Jimmy Lin and Chris Dyer. The book is oriented toward machine learning algorithms used in text processing. The book is available online for free. Code for the book, called Cloud9, is available on the internet. There are course slides available from multiple sources, including Jimmy Lin's site and a course taught at UT by Matt Lease and Jason Baldridge.

Please take a look at the material and let me know if we should do a course on this material. If so, I will prepare a syllabus at the start of summer. I would like to spread the teaching load around and find others interested in presenting one of the week's lectures. Please let me know if you would like to present for one of the weeks of the course.