Austin ACM SIGKDD - We have a new meeting place, Paypal!!!

David G. Boney

Jun 9, 2013, 10:02:57 PM6/9/13
to austin...@yahoogroups.com, Austin-ACM-...@meetup.com, aust...@googlegroups.com, semantic...@googlegroups.com
Austin ACM SIGKDD will be completing its study of "MapReduce Design Patterns". A big thanks to Dr. Omar Odibat of Paypal for providing our new meeting place at Paypal. We will meet on Wednesday nights from 7-8 pm, 7700 W. Palmer, Austin, TX, 78717, Building D, 3rd floor conference room. This is where Freescale Semiconductor is located. Building D is on the back side of the complex.

We will complete chapters 6 and 7 of "Map Reduce Design Patterns". We will go back to a one pattern a week format. Below is the summer schedule. If you want to sign up for a pattern, let me know.

--------------------------------
Austin ACM SIGKDD is presenting a weekly series on MapReduce Design Patterns. It is based on the book, "MapReduce Design Patterns" by Donald Miner and Adam Shook.

We meet on Wednesday nights at 7:00 pm at Paypal, located at 7700 W. Palmer Lane, Austin, TX 78717, Building D, 3rd Floor Conference Room. Bring a picture ID to get into the building.

If you want to sign up and present one of the design patterns, please let me know. Any pattern without a presenter is open. Any patterns without a presenter, I will present.

Textbooks

MapReduce Design Patterns: Building Effective Algorithms and Analytics for Hadoop and Other Systems by Donald Miner and Adam Shook

http://www.amazon.com/MapReduce-Design-Patterns-Effective-Algorithms/dp/1449327176/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1355520026&sr=8-4&keywords=hadoop

Hadoop: The Definitive Guide, 3rd ed., by Tom White

http://www.amazon.com/Hadoop-Definitive-Guide-Tom-White/dp/1449311520/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355520684&sr=8-1&keywords=hadoop

Code and Data

Code for Map Reduce Design Patterns

https://github.com/adamjshook/mapreducepatterns

Code for Hadoop: The Definitive Guide - this includes the data

https://github.com/tomwhite/hadoop-book

Syllabus

This spring we already covered chapters 1-5. This summer we will be completing the book with chapters 6-7.

Week 1, June 19, 2013, 7-8 PM, Paypal, Job Chaining Pattern

Week 2, June 26, 2013, 7-8 PM, Paypal, Chain Folding Pattern

No meeting July 3, 2013 - Holiday

Week 3, July 10, 2013, 7-8 PM, Paypal, Job Merging Pattern

Week 4, July 17, 2013, 7-8 PM, Paypal, Custom Input and Output in Hadoop Pattern

Week 5, July 24, 2013, 7-8 PM, Paypal, Generating Data Pattern

Week 6, July 31, 2013, 7-8 PM, External, Source Output Pattern

Week 7, August 7, 2013, 7-8 PM, Paypal, External Source Input Pattern & Partition Prunning Pattern