Support for Java 11

Quentin Reul

Jul 8, 2019, 3:26:40 PM7/8/19
to semanticturkey-user
Hi all,

According to the documentation [1], Semantic Turkey is currently build on Java 8. However, Oracle has recently changed its licensing policy (see [2]) and they are no longer going to provide fixes for critical bugs. As such, I was wondering if there are any plans to migrate to Java 11.

Kind regards,

Quentin

[1] http://semanticturkey.uniroma2.it/doc/
[2] https://upperedge.com/oracle/using-java-heres-how-oracles-new-2019-java-se-licensing-affects-you/

Armando Stellato

Jul 10, 2019, 5:43:41 AM7/10/19
to semantict...@googlegroups.com
Dear Quentin,

there's a plan and surely we will do. Depending on when the next major version of ST will be released (official plan is next February, but there could be another one in the middle), we might do it for the next one, or the next-next one.
We would have done it before, but our compliance with Java must follow the one of the hosting platform Karaf, which has been released in a version compatible with Java 11 only a short time before we released our last major version (6.0).

Kind Regards,

Armando
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/semanticturkey-user/9ce04914-3f2d-4b1e-
> ad26-0a1cd9aa62c3%40googlegroups.com.

Pete Rivett

Nov 22, 2020, 3:48:39 PM11/22/20
to semanticturkey-user
February is long past: any update on this?

Armando Stellato

Nov 25, 2020, 5:34:08 AM11/25/20
to semantict...@googlegroups.com

Dear Pete,

As you can see from the changelog here:

http://karaf.apache.org/news.html

on the Changelog of the most recent version of Karaf (4.3.0, just this 30th of October), the hosting application container for Semantic Turkey, there are still bugfixes related to compliancy with Java 11. Add to this that we have a non-trivial dependency on Spring and OSGi, we opted for delaying this delicate update to at least a more stable coverage of Java11 from the Karaf.

Kind Regards,

Armando