no server found! pls check that a server is listening on: 127.0.0.1:1979

Nicolas Paris

Dec 26, 2015, 8:25:55 PM12/26/15
to semanticturkey-user
Hello,

I encounter the famous turkey error

./st_server_run
in a terminal, is not verbose at all, but semantic turkey complains server 1979 is not running

Firefox 41.0
Ubuntu 14.04
java version "1.7.0_79"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.5.6) (7u79-2.5.6-0ubuntu1.14.04.1)

Thanks for any help

Nicolas Paris

Dec 27, 2015, 5:02:31 AM12/27/15
to semanticturkey-user
I have run "bin/start clean"
and the server is now running ("ST Started").

It looks better but I have now this message :

"Default family "it.uniroma2.art.semanticturkey.annotation.bookmarking" has not been registered"

Nicolas Paris

Dec 27, 2015, 5:02:31 AM12/27/15
to semanticturkey-user
Well I have removed the lock file, and karaf seems running. (I have got the prompt karaf@root>)
But I still have got the same error with the add-on in firefox

Armando Stellato

Dec 27, 2015, 5:15:14 AM12/27/15
to Nicolas Paris, semanticturkey-user

Dear Nicolas,

You should check if the ST service is running. It should write somwthing like “ST started” on the prompt of Karaf.

I see from the previous messages that you are using OpenJDK. Try using SUN Java as the OpenJDK version has some incompatibility with OSGi. I didn’t test with later version of OpenJDK but I am mostly sure it won't work with it.

Also, wait a bit after seeing “ST started” (the first time, to be sure, 10 seconds, even though it is usually much less) before clicking the ST icon on Firefox.

Last thing, I am sorry to report that the latest versions of Firefox require addons to be signed (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Addons/Extension_Signing) so check the version u are using and set the required preference in case.

Cheers,

Armando

Inviato da Posta di Outlook per telefono Windows 10

But I still have got the same error with the add-on in firefox

Nicolas Paris

Dec 27, 2015, 4:20:15 PM12/27/15
to Armando Stellato, semanticturkey-user
Armando,

- ST service is running (“ST started”).

- I way 10 seconds as you advice.

- I have installed the oracle java version
java version "1.7.0_80"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.80-b11, mixed mode)

- About Extension_Signing, I have installed the firefox developer
version (https://www.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/developer/ -> good
looking) ; it is possible to disable this aspect.

=> I still have the "Default family
"it.uniroma2.art.semanticturkey.annotation.bookmarking" has not been
registered" javascript message in a alert popup in firefox. However,
no error in the karaf console.

Thanks a lot by advance,

Armando Stellato

Feb 2, 2016, 2:42:52 PM2/2/16
to Nicolas Paris, semanticturkey-user
Dear Nicolas,

sorry for coming back so late to you. Partially overlooked the email, and partially we were waiting for the new stable version to be released.

On our side, we tried the developer edition of Firefox, and found various issues (including the bookmarking one you described).

I suggest to download the standard release of Firefox (currently v.44) and set this preference

xpinstall.signatures.required

to false

That should work.

Semantic Turkey is now in stable version 0.12, so you can try directly with that version:

https://bitbucket.org/art-uniroma2/semantic-turkey/downloads/semanticturkey-0.12.zip

Final consideration:

by judging from the messages on the Mozilla mailing list, this extension signing is causing more than a few troubles. In our case, getting the extension reviewed has become an hopeless mission, as reviewers refuse to reject such a big extension (even after we decided to pack the server as a separate bundle, and thus limiting the review to the sole client). So, the same people from the Firefox crew suggested us to withdraw the extension (thus not benefiting of the implicit advertisement given by their extension store) and let users install it independently. But now, we need it there as it needs to be signed, reviewed etc...
Caught in between the anvil and the hammer, we are planning a future major version of ST as a web application (but easily configurable for desktop use), including also all of the features of the VB project (http://vocbench.uniroma2.it/), finally getting rid of all these issues.

Cheers,

Armando