BibTeX import

Martien

Jun 30, 2009, 11:33:53 AM6/30/09
to Semantic Forms
Hi Yaron,

Short question:

Is there an easy way to import serveral hundred BibTeX entries into an
Publication/Author SMW?

I am exploring the XML import from Data Transfer, but rather than
reinventing the wheel, I just wonder if someone has done this before.

I'm running into some language differences too. My SMW is in Dutch and
so refers to "Pagina's" rather than "Pages". Not sure if the single
quote (') is correct in XML.

It would be of much help if I have a samle XML file that include the
fields as specified in:

http://aardnoot.nl/Sjabloon:Auteur
http://aardnoot.nl/Sjabloon:Publikatie

Succes en plezier,

Martien.

Yaron Koren

Jun 30, 2009, 11:52:33 AM6/30/09
to semanti...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The only real suggestion I have is to use CSV import instead of XML - it's much simpler and has none of the formatting problems that you're experiencing. Actually, at this point I don't know that the XML-import feature has any real benefit...

-Yaron

Dan Bolser

Jun 30, 2009, 1:40:41 PM6/30/09
to semanti...@googlegroups.com
2009/6/30 Martien <martien.van...@gmail.com>:
Hey Martien,

I really wanted to take some time to work on a wiki for reference
data, so I'm really interested to hear about what you are doing :-)

I'm not surprised that your creating this particular wheel for the
first time, so it would be really really great if you could document
your system somewhere on smw.referata.com. There are lots of ways that
one could think of for modelling reference data within SMW, but it
makes sense to try to decide on a standard. Also, I would guess that
there are some ontologies that you could import to help you with
formalising the data?

Once you have a standard way of representing the references within the
wiki, I think that adding import / export features should be
relatively easy (as Yaron suggests, using CSV for example).

I think its a really great idea to document such SMW 'designs'
(packages or design patterns) within smw.referata.com. For example,
someone was talking about implementing a threaded discussion system in
SMW - which seems like a really nice application. It makes so much
sense to have one schema / template system for such a project that can
be reused in other wikis.

Good luck building your site, and let us know how you get on!

All the best,
Dan.

Nathan Yergler

Jun 30, 2009, 1:48:05 PM6/30/09
to semanti...@googlegroups.com
We [Creative Commons] built something like this for AcaWiki
(http://acawiki.org). Instead of importing many entries at once the
idea was to allow users to upload BibTeX files and add article pages
for each. The code may be a useful starting point. You can browse
the git repository at
http://code.creativecommons.org/viewgit/bibteximport.git/tree/.
Checkout instructions are available at
http://code.creativecommons.org.

Nathan

Dan Bolser

Jun 30, 2009, 2:00:23 PM6/30/09
2009/6/30 Nathan Yergler <nat...@yergler.net>:

> We [Creative Commons] built something like this for AcaWiki
> (http://acawiki.org).  Instead of importing many entries at once the
> idea was to allow users to upload BibTeX files and add article pages
> for each.  The code may be a useful starting point.  You can browse
> the git repository at
> http://code.creativecommons.org/viewgit/bibteximport.git/tree/.
> Checkout instructions are available at
> http://code.creativecommons.org.
>
> Nathan

Thanks so much for this info Nathan! I was planning to build something
like AcaWiki for years!

The idea I had was a bit different from commenting on articles, but I
wanted to facilitate that too. If you're interested, I described the
project here:

http://introductome.org/

Now that I've seen AcaWiki I'll have to prioritize the revival of that
project ;-) (along with about 25 other things...) I'll really have to
look at what you do and how to integrate with your system! :-)

Thanks again,
Dan.

Nathan Yergler

Jun 30, 2009, 2:04:14 PM6/30/09
to semanti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

Just to be clear AcaWiki isn't a Creative Commons project per se; it's
being developed by Neeru Paharia, a CC alumnus, and we acted as
contractors given our SMW background. Ping me off list if you'd like
an introduction.

Nathan

Martien

Jul 2, 2009, 9:10:28 AM7/2/09
to Semantic Forms
I have tried CSV import and it works. However, having multiple authors
(for the same publication) separated by commas give confusing results
since the number of fields may vary. That's why I researched XML-based
import. But that's too cumbersome for someone like me with
insufficient XML skills and tools.

On Jun 30, 5:52 pm, Yaron Koren <yaro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The only real suggestion I have is to use CSV import instead of XML - it's
> much simpler and has none of the formatting problems that you're
> experiencing. Actually, at this point I don't know that the XML-import
> feature has any real benefit...
>
> -Yaron
>
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Martien <martien.van.steenber...@gmail.com

Dan Bolser

Jul 2, 2009, 9:12:37 AM7/2/09
to semanti...@googlegroups.com
It shouldn't be a problem so long as you string quote the author
field, like this:

"auth 1, auth 2", journal X, ...
"auth 3", journal Y, ...

The parser is smart enough to know that everything between quotes is one field.

Dan.

Martien

Jul 2, 2009, 9:14:55 AM7/2/09
to Semantic Forms
Hi Dan,

I will consider this. Currently, I do not have the time to start this
track: I need to get data into the wiki first. As soon as I've tackled
that I might return to your kind request and suggestion.

Anyway, as a technically included user I find importing data still
very cumbersome. Adding data by hand once you have the forms is easier
and allow more people to chip in.

The proposed solutions are either too much geared towards a specific
use (e.g. AcaWiki), have little or no support for non-english
languages, require extensive data massaging like template name and
field mapping.

On Jun 30, 7:40 pm, Dan Bolser <dan.bol...@gmail.com> wrote:

Martien

Jul 2, 2009, 9:18:11 AM7/2/09
to Semantic Forms
Hi nathan,

I've played around with BibTexImport today: it does work but it fails
on using correct character sets. When I import an UTF-8 BibTeX file
shows:

title={Méthodes pour le succès des monnaies complémentaires}

The BibTeX Import page shows:

Méthodes pour le succès des monnaies complémentaires

I haven't found a solution to this issue yet. The author, Seren
Gianinni, can reproduce this at AcaWiki but doesn't have the time to
investigate the problem. Neither do I.

So, I'll continue to spend some spare cycles on tackling this, but
expect no miracles.

Martien.

On Jun 30, 7:48 pm, Nathan Yergler <nat...@yergler.net> wrote:
> We [Creative Commons] built something like this for AcaWiki
> (http://acawiki.org).  Instead of importing many entries at once the
> idea was to allow users to upload BibTeX files and add article pages
> for each.  The code may be a useful starting point.  You can browse
> the git repository athttp://code.creativecommons.org/viewgit/bibteximport.git/tree/.
> Checkout instructions are available athttp://code.creativecommons.org.

Nathan Yergler

Jul 2, 2009, 11:52:21 AM7/2/09
to semanti...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the bug report; I suspect the problem is in the encoding
used to read the file after we upload it. I've filed a bug report
(http://code.creativecommons.org/issues/issue401); if you have a
BibTeX file that I can attach as a test case, that'd be helpful.

Thanks.

Nathan

Martien

Jul 3, 2009, 7:47:27 AM7/3/09
to Semantic Forms
Here's a sample bibtex entry:

@inbook{RefWorks:8,
author={Henk van Arkel and Jaap Vink and Camilo Ramada},
editor={Blanc,Jérôme},
url={http://aardrock.com},
year={2006},
title={Méthodes pour le succès des monnaies complémentaires},
series={
Exclusion et Liens financiers, Monnaies sociales, Rapport 2005-2006},
publisher={Economica},
address={Paris},
pages={213-227},
note={Ce texte présente un ensemble de possibilités
organisationnelles imaginé
es au sein de l'organisation non gouvernementale néerlandaise Strohalm
et expérimentée
dans plusieurs localités d'Amérique Latine et d'Asie. Il pose
clairement l'enjeu de l
'organisation et la nécessité d'être pragmatique comme celle de
l'adaptation aux circo
nstances locales. De façon générale, les méthodes exposées par les
auteurs visent à fo
urnir les moyens d'une régulation de la quantité de monnaie, et ainsi
à dépasser les d
ifficultés inhérentes aux systèmes dans lesquels la régulation est
déficiente voire in
existante. Elles visent aussi un impact économique local, ce qui n'est
pas toujours le
cas des monnaies sociales. Trois grandes méthodes sont exposées: la
méthode CCS (cont
rolled currency system) mise en œuvre au Brésil (Porto Alegre), la
méthode VLC (valuab
le local currency) expérimentée au Brésil (Fortaleza) et la méthode C3
(consumer and c
ommerce circuits développée au Brésil et au Salvador.

(English translation:) This text presents a set of organisational
possibilities design
ed by the Dutch non-governmental organisation Strohalm and tested in
several locations
in Latin America and Asia. It clearly presents what is at stake in
the organisation a
nd the need to be pragmatic with regard to adjustment to local
circumstances. In gener
al, the methods explained by the authors aim at providing the means
for regulating the
quantity of money, and thus surpass the difficulties inherent to the
systems in which
regulation is deficient or does not even exist. They also aim to
achieve a local econ
omic impact, something social currencies do not always accomplish.
Three important met
hods are explained: the CCS method (controlled currency system)
implemented in Brazil
(Porto Alegre), the VLC method (valuable local currency) tested in
Brazil (Fortaleza)
and the C3 method (consumer and commerce circuits) developed in Brazil
and El Salvador
.},
keywords={Organizational choice; Currency regulation;
Salvador; Brazil},
isbn={2717852166},
language={French}