Using SMW imported vocabularies

Dan Thomas

Dec 5, 2008, 2:59:34 PM12/5/08
to semanti...@googlegroups.com, Semantic MediaWiki users
Crossposting question as it has elements both for SMW and SMF. This
seems like a core need, but I'm have difficulties.

I'm importing into SMW the Dublin Core metadata vocabularies: [1]
Dublin Core Metadata Elemental Set (DCES) and [2] DCMI Type Vocabulary
(DCMI-Type). DCES has a property called Type for which I want to
enumerate from the set of controlled DCMI-Type Vocabulary values
(e.g.; Data set, Text, Image, Service, Software, etc.).

I've set up the page: MediaWiki:Smw_import_dc for DCES properties.
Can somebody explain how:

a) import the DCMI-Type enumerated set?
b) allow system users to use Semantic Forms to select a DCMI-Type
value that will produce correct RDF output?

Thanks, Dan

[1] http://dublincore.org/documents/dces/
[2] http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-type-vocabulary/

S Page

Jun 20, 2009, 6:00:06 PM6/20/09
to Semantic MediaWiki users, semanti...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 12:59 PM, Dan Thomas<geoo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Crossposting question as it has elements both for SMW and SMF.  This
> seems like a core need, but I'm have difficulties.
>
> I'm importing into SMW the Dublin Core metadata vocabularies: [1]
> Dublin Core Metadata Elemental Set (DCES) and [2] DCMI Type Vocabulary
> (DCMI-Type).  DCES has a property called Type for which I want to
> enumerate from the set of controlled DCMI-Type Vocabulary values
> (e.g.; Data set, Text, Image, Service, Software, etc.).
>
> I've set up the page: MediaWiki:Smw_import_dc for DCES properties.

Cool! Can you point me at it or e-mail it to me and I'll add it to
sandbox-semanticmediawiki or semanticweb ? I think it's a generally
useful common vocabulary for SMW, much like
http://semanticweb.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Smw_import_foaf

> Can somebody explain how:
>
> a) import the DCMI-Type enumerated set?

Mention it in MediaWiki:Smw_import_dc or maybe
MediaWiki:Smw_import_dcmi-type. I'm not sure what the best type to
use is, probably start with string.

import doesn't go out and query the remote RDF to find permitted
values. So you have to manually put
[[allows value::Collection]], [[Allows value::Dataset]], [[Allows
value::Event]]
on the properties using it, (use a template).

To annotate the association, you could make pages like [[Collection]],
[[Dataset]], [[Event]], and on each add [[Equivalent
URI::http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/Collection]]
, etc.

> b) allow system users to use Semantic Forms to select a DCMI-Type
> value that will produce correct RDF output?

The allows value should mean something to Semantic Forms. But I see
that you might run into have problems with the values turning into
rdf:resource="&wiki;Collection.
Do you have a URL for a sample Dublin Core RDF with DCMI types in it?

While tinkering with this, I think I found a bug in SMW: if the
imported type is a string, SMW still creates a link to a page for the
value.
See http://semanticweb.org/wiki/Property:Foaf:mbox_sha1sum , that's
just imported as
mbox_sha1sum|Type:String