SMW at upcoming conferences: Wikimania, NYC wiki-conference etc.

Yaron Koren

Jul 6, 2009, 12:15:23 AM7/6/09
to semediaw...@lists.sourceforge.net, semanti...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

There will be presentations about Semantic MediaWiki at two upcoming conferences, or should I say "conferences", since neither one is really a conference. The more important one is Wikimania 2009, in Buenos Aires, Argentina in August:

http://wikimania2009.wikimedia.org/wiki/Portal

The official schedule isn't yet decided, but I can confirm that there will be a panel discussion about SMW featuring Markus K., Denny V. and me. I'll also be giving a separate talk about external data in MediaWiki, that will cover the External Data extension, as well as some stuff about SMW, and other extensions.

For those living around the Eastern United States especially, you should also note the upcoming NYC wiki-conference in late July:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/NYC/Wiki-Conference_2009

The subject range is quite a bit like Wikimania's, although it's structured as an "un-conference", with presentations and meetings decided on the spot. Although we do know Jimmy Wales will be giving the keynote address. (!) Anyway, I plan to talk about SMW in one way or another there, and you can too, if you want to, or you can just show up and go to some interesting Wikipedia-related talks and discussions. If you've never been to Wikimania, I think it's a good chance to see what Wikimania is like, on a smaller scale.

Finally, is it too early to start talking about the next official SMW users meeting? Possibly, although if not, I'm thinking it makes sense to have one in November 2009, a year after the last one (well, the last one that wasn't tied to some other conference); but in any case you have any opinions about the date, or about the location or anything else, I created a stub page for the meeting, here:

http://smw.referata.com/wiki/SMW_Fall_2009_users_meeting

Feel free to add your thoughts, if you're interested in going.

-Yaron

Sergey Chernyshev

Jul 6, 2009, 8:45:42 PM7/6/09
to Michael Dale, Yaron Koren, semediaw...@lists.sourceforge.net, semanti...@googlegroups.com
Crap! I have conflict with first New York VoCamp ;(((

        Sergey

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Michael Dale <da...@ucsc.edu> wrote:
I would love to help pitch external data  extension as a good model for
moving forward with a "wikidata" like project to enable centralized data
maintenance with localized language templates per wiki.

anyway ... looking forward to seeing all that can make it to is
Wikimania event :)

peace,
--michael

Joel Natividad

Jul 6, 2009, 9:26:14 PM7/6/09
to Yaron Koren, semediaw...@lists.sourceforge.net, semanti...@googlegroups.com
Yaron,
During SemTech 2009, we had a "de facto" SMW meetup of sorts during
the Semantic Wiki session chaired by Mark Greaves. Even though it was
supposed to be a generic Semantic Wiki session, with Knoodl and zAgile
in the mix, it was dominated by SMW.

The usual SMW suspects were there doing presentations in the
jam-packed session - Denny with his most excellent presentation (see
http://simia.net/download/SemTech2009.ppt), Steven Forth from
LeveragePoint/Monitor, Jesse Wang from Vulcan with his crowd-pleasing
SMW in Entertainment (Seattle Seahawks) and MS Office Integration
presentation, Marc Feickert from FamilySearch, Daniel Hansch from
Ontoprise, and Deborah Mcguiness from RPI. Also had a chance to
announce SemanTrac (mashup of SMW and Trac) in my slot. (I'll post
the presentations at referata as soon as I get clearance from each
presenter)

Also, the night before, there was a "meetup of meetups" session
spearheaded by Marco Neumann and the various coordinators from
different cities. During lively deliberations, it was agreed by the
different meetups start standardizing on SMW to facilitate
proceedings. Since the Semantic Web meetups are really starting to
gain critical mass (there are 900+ members in NYC alone per the last
stats Marco shared), having SMW as the default interface for all these
Semantic Web adopters, I think, will go a long way towards getting
even wider acceptance and accelerating adoption.

Perhaps, we can make a call for all the Meetup volunteers/coordinators
to get together for the next SMW user group meeting. One thing that
Marco mentioned that Meetup.com has is the strong event management
subsystem (RSVPs, calendaring, etc.). If we add these event management
components to SMW or at least, attempt to have some kind of seamless
integration with meetup.com (Marco said so himself during the "meetup
of meetups"), all the Semantic Web meetup groups can really start the
showcase the power of SMW as we "eat our own dogfood".

- Joel

jo...@natividads.com * wire...@natividads.com
Think Different! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_different#Text)
Imagine Different! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5tOgRD4EqY)

Sergey Chernyshev

Jul 7, 2009, 12:45:24 AM7/7/09
to jo...@natividads.com, Yaron Koren, semediaw...@lists.sourceforge.net, semanti...@googlegroups.com
I propose my http://www.TechPresentations.org to be a base for the proceedings and all - it is one of the first and prominent SMW-based sites and specializes on events and presentations (here's the page for presentations related to SMW: http://www.techpresentations.org/Semantic_MediaWiki)

I also plan to work on ontology for it during VoCamp (you can actually see some results on my Slidy+RDFa slides here, for example: http://www.w3.org/2007/08/pyRdfa/extract?uri=http://www.sergeychernyshev.com/talks/Web_Performance/at_New_York_Web_Standards_Meetup.html

Thank you,

        Sergey

--
Sergey Chernyshev
http://www.sergeychernyshev.com/

details at: http://p.sf.net/sfu/blackberry

Joel Natividad

CW Dillon

Jul 7, 2009, 11:33:49 AM7/7/09
to semediaw...@lists.sourceforge.net, semanti...@googlegroups.com
Might we try to organize something co-located with http://iswc2009.semanticweb.org/?  ...perhaps they'll allow us to have some pre-conference or post-conference space at their facility.  After all, they're using SMW on their site, they might like to talk about it themselves.

But seriously, the timing is about right.  The toughest part of organizing something will probably be having a place to meet.

-Clarence

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 3:43 AM, Ingo Steinbauer <stein...@ontoprise.de> wrote:
Hi,

I have added a snall example to our Data Import extension demo wiki. It
uses one of the meetup API methods to display meetup groups around
Williamsburg, Brooklyn in the Wiki.
http://diedemo.ontoprise.com/index.php/MeetupExample

I think that it would be very easy to to integrate data from meetup.com
into the Wiki and write it back via our Data Import extension.

Ingo

Joel Natividad schrieb:
details at: http://p.sf.net/sfu/blackberry

Yaron Koren

Jul 7, 2009, 12:11:24 PM7/7/09
to semanti...@googlegroups.com, semediaw...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hm, that's not a bad idea - could someone try to contact them and find out if it's a possibility? It's interesting that they have SMW installed on their wiki, though they're not actually using it (no properties defined); but maybe it'll make them more amenable.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think it's not too early at all to talk about the SMW users meeting in earnest, given that it could take place as early as September, which is just two months away. Again, if anyone has a preference about the date or location, please add your thoughts here:

http://smw.referata.com/wiki/SMW_Fall_2009_users_meeting

Joel - thanks for linking to Denny's presentation! I'm looking forward to seeing the rest as well, when/if they become available.

-Yaron

Bernhard Krabina

Jul 7, 2009, 6:54:34 PM7/7/09
to Semantic Forms