Mini query inside a form

ben

Jul 1, 2009, 3:06:10 AM7/1/09
to Semantic Forms
I am creating a wiki that has a wiki pages of tests. Test pages
automatically have a page name of test ID to ensure that each has a
unique name. They also have a name and description. They are created
with a semantic form.

When an article is tested and users enter the results through a
semantic form, they need to specify the ID of what test was conducted
on the test article. Because the test ID is a meaningless number,
users cannot be expected to remember it. Is there a way to put a mini
query on the form page where they can select test_name and
test_description and the test ID is automatically populated from that
info?

As you can see below, they can select from the list of tests, but all
they see is (test1,test2,test3,etc.)
---------------------------

{{#forminput:Results}}

</noinclude><includeonly>
=Main=
{{{for template|Results}}}
{| class="formtable"
! Asscociated Test:
| {{{field|Asscociated Test|values from category=Test}}}
|-

--------------

From what I have seen so far, I do not think this functionality exists
but would like to confirm. I have tried #sask. Drilldown requires to
exit the form into another page.
Thanks in advance
Ben

Yaron Koren

Jul 1, 2009, 3:01:40 PM7/1/09
to semanti...@googlegroups.com
No, there's no way to do that. You might consider having a "query form" instead, using RunQuery, that lets people look up a specific test name, and have the template associated with that form say something like, "if the test you're looking for was not found, you can add it here:". Below that, you could have a #formlink or #forminput (it wasn't clear whether you're using automatic page names or not), with the name they entered as a pre-loaded value going to the form.

I hope that all made sense. :)

-Yaron

Arber, Benjamin (Contractor)

Jul 1, 2009, 10:20:53 PM7/1/09
to semanti...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Yaron and Gu for your fast replies.  It appears from looking at 'Run Query' example on DiscourseDB that it queries load in a separate form.  I would also need "values by property" as Gu suggested but I would rather not have to maintain modified source code.

I think the best solution seems to be one using SQFT which I am discussing on:
It looks like it should work but I am having some errors.

It will hopefully be a small SQFT form that I can put under my Main Semantic form.  It would not autofill the values but at least users can easilly find the ID required without navigating away from the page.

Ben