size=50 and uploadable garbles values

Martien

Jul 4, 2009, 6:34:43 AM7/4/09
to Semantic Forms
Given: Form:Test, Template:Test, Category:Test according to basic
setup.

Everything works fine when Form:Test has:

{{{for template|Test}}}
{| class="formtable"
|-
!Has author(s):
| {{{field|Has author}}}
|}
{{{end template}}}

I.e. when I use the form to create a apge called Test, this page gets
the following ocntent:

{{Test
|Has author=aap,noot,mies,wim,zus,jet
}}

Now when I change the filed line in the form to:

| {{{field|uploadable|Has author}}}

and use the form the edit the Test page it gets mangled and ends up
like:

{{Test
|uploadable=aaa
|Heeft_auteur=aap,noot,mies,wim,zus,jet
}}

Similar things happen when I do:

| {{{field|size=50|Has author}}}

Running SemanticForms 1.7.3

Any clues?

Dan Bolser

Jul 4, 2009, 8:32:36 AM7/4/09
to semanti...@googlegroups.com
2009/7/4 Martien <martien.van...@gmail.com>:
Yeah, I think you need:

| {{{field|Has author|uploadable}}}

From the man page:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Forms

"field - Specifies a field to be placed in a form, corresponding to a
template field. The name immediately following the field declaration
is the name of the template field."

I think that text could be clearer, but it does suggest that you need
to use the above format rather than what you have (the clue was the
'uploadable' string turning up in the template).

See: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Forms#Sample_form

In documentation I'd recommend the use of the term 'template
parameter' over 'template field' to mean the string used to identify a
variable in the template call. i.e.

{{ my template | some such = so and so }}

whole thing = template call.
"my template" = template name.
"some such" = template parameter.
"so and so" = value of the parameter.

HTH,
Dan.

P.S. How come 'forminput' doesn't have named parameters? Is it a limit
of the way parser functions work, or it just hasn't been coded that
way?

Dan Bolser

Jul 4, 2009, 8:39:13 AM7/4/09
to semanti...@googlegroups.com
P.P.S. Martien, were you in irc://irc.freenode.net/#semanticmediawiki
the other day? I am in there now if you want to work on some problems
in real time instead of by esnail ;-)

Dan.

Martien

Jul 4, 2009, 10:23:43 AM7/4/09
to Semantic Forms
hi dan, i am now. just back from a wonderful sunny little bike trip in
my home town

On Jul 4, 2:39 pm, Dan Bolser <dan.bol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> P.P.S. Martien, were you in irc://irc.freenode.net/#semanticmediawiki
> the other day? I am in there now if you want to work on some problems
> in real time instead of by esnail ;-)
>
> Dan.
>
> 2009/7/4 Dan Bolser <dan.bol...@gmail.com>:

Martien

Jul 4, 2009, 10:33:59 AM7/4/09
to Semantic Forms
Hi Dan,

Thanks! ISH (It Sure Helps) This fixes it. Stupid I didn't see it.
Sometimes I develop tunnel vision… And yes, the documentation can be
improved in order to make this clearer. The documentation is complete
and accurate and just like a UNIX man(1) page: terse and precise. Must
read it at least three times to completely grasp what is says.

Kudos to Yarion for creating this wonderful semantic forms stuff,
though. With Yaron's consent, I'll be happy to make some minor
adjustments to the documentation. Yaron?

Martien.

On Jul 4, 2:32 pm, Dan Bolser <dan.bol...@gmail.com> wrote:

Martien

Jul 4, 2009, 11:00:45 AM7/4/09
to Semantic Forms
Hi Dan,

Don't know the answer to your P.S. Sorry.

Succes en plezier,

Martien.

On Jul 4, 2:32 pm, Dan Bolser <dan.bol...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dan Bolser

Jul 4, 2009, 6:37:46 PM7/4/09
to semanti...@googlegroups.com
2009/7/4 Martien <martien.van...@gmail.com>:

> Hi Dan,
>
> Thanks! ISH (It Sure Helps) This fixes it. Stupid I didn't see it.
> Sometimes I develop tunnel vision… And yes, the documentation can be
> improved in order to make this clearer. The documentation is complete
> and accurate and just like a UNIX man(1) page: terse and precise. Must
> read it at least three times to completely grasp what is says.
>
> Kudos to Yarion for creating this wonderful semantic forms stuff,
> though. With Yaron's consent, I'll be happy to make some minor
> adjustments to the documentation. Yaron?

Its wiki! Anyone can edit! I'm sure Yaron will review any major
changes, so its probably safe to fire away... could we get *this*
email address on the SF / SD watchlist? That would be really cool.

I'm just getting round to some edits on SD myself :-)

Its too massive to go through the whole thing, but I think its good to
add corrections, clarifications and comments when they are fresh in
your mind.

I'd like to split the docs (especially for SF) into chapters to make
it easier to focus on specific features.

GICH! (Glad I Could Help! ;-)
Dan.

Yaron Koren

Jul 5, 2009, 10:30:17 PM7/5/09
to semanti...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Yes, anyone should feel free to make any changes they think will improve the wiki documentation (though try to avoid major structural changes unless you really think you know what you're doing). And - ouch. :) But I'm looking forward to your improvements.

Dan - really, you want an email to be sent to the list every time a change is made to the SF or SD documentation pages? I don't know if everyone on the list would be happy about that...

Also, the #forminput question - it's totally unrelated, but: the lack of parameter names isn't a technical issue, it was just my choice - I thought five parameters was low enough to be handled without names.

-Yaron