Modeling archival collections

Aaron Rubinstein

Dec 30, 2009, 10:30:45 AM12/30/09
to Archives and the Semantic Web
Hi all,

I've been working on a vocabulary for describing archival
collections. I have two specific use cases in mind: enhancing online
finding aids with RDFa snippets and publishing names that appear in
archival collections as linked data. I've started a google code page
for the vocabulary here:

http://code.google.com/p/archival-ontology/

and the current draft of the vocabulary lives here:

http://code.google.com/p/archival-ontology/source/browse/trunk/20091230.rdf

I've also set up a quick and (very) dirty linked data service using
names extracted out of finding aids from the University of
Massachusetts Special Collections, http://gslis.simmons.edu/archival/.

A future leaning goal would be to model a vocabulary optimized for
dealing with existing physical and digital collections as well as
contemporary collections of material distributed over the web.

What I've got is a very basic start and I would love feedback on these
projects.

Thanks!

Aaron