FYI: "Where the semantic web stumbled, linked data will succeed"

peterVG

Nov 15, 2010, 9:02:58 PM11/15/10
to Archives and the Semantic Web
Thought I would pass on this link. http://radar.oreilly.com/2010/11/semantic-web-linked-data.html

This article is giving me a lot to think about in terms of how to
bring Linked Data to archival descriptions and archives access
systems. There are some very practical examples. Its main point:
"Successful adoption will often entail sacrificing standardization and
semantic purity for pragmatic ease-of-use; this is where the semantic
web appears to have stumbled, and where linked data will most likely
succeed."

I think this applies equally to our archival systems and services but
will we able to overcome our professional OCD and our self-image as
the last line of defense for standardization and semantic purity?

Cheers,

--peterVG