Someone want to lead a new release?

Edward L Platt

Sep 12, 2017, 4:37:45 PM9/12/17
to seltzercrm-dev
Greetings from phd-land!

There are one or two merge requests that involve changing the database. We should do an actual release if we're going to merge them. I don't have the bandwidth, but Chris or Josh, would either of you be interested in heading it up?

The main things that would need to be done:
* Test a fresh install of the release
* Test upgrading the previous release
* Create a release tag on github
* Announce the release to hackerspaces-discuss

Ed
--
Edward L. Platt
https://elplatt.com | @elplatt | elp...@octodon.social

Tips for stopping email overload: https://hbr.org/2012/02/stop-email-overload-1

Chris Murray

Sep 15, 2017, 6:43:39 AM9/15/17
to seltzercrm-dev
Hi Ed,

Yes, defnitely!

Would this be a 0.5 release? (Master is currently on 0.4.2, dev is on 0.4.6).  What do we doa bout the issues that are tagged for 0.4/0.4.1/0.5 in github issues?

I know you cleaned up a load of issues earlier this week (tah for that!)

When you say testing, is that doings a fresh install of dev, doing a fresh install of master, then upgrading to dev? Is this done beofre or after mergeing PR #388?

I believe issue #334 (test instance not accessible) needs resolved.  Can you take care of this, or would you like me to host a test instance on DigitalOcean/AWS?

I'm not a member of hackerspace/discuss (AFAIK), can you provide a link?

All the best,

Chris 8-)

Edward L Platt

Sep 15, 2017, 3:51:39 PM9/15/17
to seltzercrm-dev
Thanks Chris!

This would be a 0.5 release since the database schema is changing.

The testing would be after merging all the pull requests going into the release. But it would be a good idea to create a 0.4.x-dev branch before doing the merge. That way if we need to address any issues for folks who haven't upgraded to 0.5, we'll have a branch for that.

I'll take a look at the test instance sometime next week.

Here's the mailing list. It's general discussion about hackerspaces. You can probably search to see some of my old release announcements:

Chris Murray

Sep 15, 2017, 7:29:23 PM9/15/17
to seltzer...@googlegroups.com
Not a problem! :)

Can you create the branch & do the merge, or else give me write access to the repo?

For the test instance, do you still have seltzercrm.org registered?

Have signed up to the mailing list, thanks :)

All the best,

Chris 8-)

All the best,

Chris 8-)

Chris Murray

Sep 16, 2017, 11:32:11 AM9/16/17
to seltzercrm-dev
The awkward moment when master no longer works & you're panicking why...

Then you realise it's still using the old mysql_ commands & the test box is running mysql 5.7 & php7 (which removed mysql_ & now use mysqli_) because you built it with ubuntu 16.04 not 14.04...

I've been testing deploying the dev branch as a clean install, adding some data, then deploying my branch straight over the top of it, & it seems to work well, I've done a couple of clean installs of my branch & it also seems well.

Once we have everything merged for the release & are ready to push to master, we'll probably need to test it on a box that's running ubuntu 14.04 or 12.04 (though hopefully no-one's still running that as it's now out of support)

All the best,

Chris 8-)

Edward L. Platt
https://elplatt.com | @elplatt | elp...@octodon.social

Tips for stopping email overload: https://hbr.org/2012/02/stop-email-overload-1

Chris Murray

Sep 16, 2017, 1:15:53 PM9/16/17
to seltzercrm-dev
Have done a full end to end test (or as full as I can make it!)

Ubuntu 14.04 with Apache2.4, MySQL 5.5 & PHP5

set up elplatt/master branch with users, & making sure emergency details are populated
set up (chris18890 or elplatt)/dev branch (overwriting master) & upgrade from within the admin webUI, delete users & re-import, observe contact & member tables in PHPMyAdmin
set up chris18890/issue361_emergency_details_move branch (overwriting dev) & upgrade from within the admin webUI
check that emergency details views have updated & that the tables have updated in PHPMyAdmin

All the best,

Chris 8-)

Edward L Platt

Sep 18, 2017, 10:35:45 AM9/18/17
to seltzercrm-dev
I've created the 0.4.x-dev branch, and Chris, you should have push access now.

Chris Murray

Sep 18, 2017, 10:46:07 AM9/18/17
to seltzercrm-dev
Awesome! So, just to ensure I'm doing this in the right order -
  • merge PR 388 into dev
  • Test a fresh install of dev
  • merge dev into master
  • create tag & release from the commit that was merging into master
  • post to the discuss mailing list & update wiki.hackerspaces.org

Will do the first 2 now, then the others before the end of this week :)

All the best,

Chris 8-)

Edward L Platt

Sep 18, 2017, 10:54:35 AM9/18/17
to seltzercrm-dev
That's all the right order. There's one additional step. After testing the fresh install, also do a fresh install of the previous tagged release (0.4.2), import some data, and make sure you're able to upgrade to the current dev branch and run the database upgrade without any problems.

Chris Murray

Sep 19, 2017, 10:22:11 AM9/19/17
to seltzercrm-dev
Hi all,

I had to submit another PR to fix an issue where emergency details weren't being saved, could someone please review it before Ed/I merge it?

All the best,

Chris 8-)

Chris Murray

Sep 25, 2017, 10:13:29 AM9/25/17
to seltzercrm-dev
Hi all,

After another PR to fix the emergency contact details move for the registration module (which I hope to optimise further) & successful testing, I think we're ready to merge into master & do the release announcements!

Whoever, before doing the release, & posting about it, I'd really like the issue about the test instance (https://github.com/elplatt/seltzer/issues/334) resolved; I dislike the idea of having a link to the testi instance in the release annoucement when it doesn't work!

All the best,

Chris 8-)

Edward L Platt

Sep 27, 2017, 11:01:49 PM9/27/17
to seltzercrm-dev
Chris and team, when the new release is announced, please link this survey in the announcement. Thanks!

Chris Murray

Oct 3, 2017, 6:03:09 PM10/3/17
to seltzer...@googlegroups.com
Will, do, hoping to get the release announcement out this week :)

All the best,

Chris 8-)

Chris Murray

Oct 4, 2017, 3:22:43 PM10/4/17
to seltzercrm-dev
Done! release text below

"Hi All,

The new version of Seltzer CRM, a hackerspace management app, is out.  You can find the code and an online demo here:

Code: https://github.com/elplatt/seltzer
Demo: http://demo.seltzercrm.org/ (user: admin, pass: beexcellent)
Wiki: https://github.com/elplatt/seltzer/wiki

Here's a list of the current features, including the new ones:
* Tracking of member contact and emergency contact info
* Tracking of membership levels and dates
* Tracking of RFID key assignments
* Customizable permissions and roles
* Module system for easy customization
* Schema tracking for easy upgrades
* Import members and plans
* Billing and payment tracking
* Amazon Payments import
* Paypal Payments import (new)
* Profile pictures, either via uploading a file or Gravatar (new)
* User Metadata module (new)
* Plan Metadata module (new)
* Member self-registration (new)
* Email mailing list managemet (new)
* Mentor management (new)

Special thanks to the devs who helped out with this release: Ed Platt from i3 Detroit, Chris Murray from Farset Labs/SoMakeIt, and Josh Pritt from Melbourne Makerspace.  We're always looking for more people to help out with the project, whether it's coding, testing, or providing feedback and feature requests.  Contact me for more info, or see the wiki."

Edward L Platt

Oct 4, 2017, 3:31:07 PM10/4/17
to seltzercrm-dev
Thanks so much for getting this out, Chris and Josh! A lot of folks have been asking for this, and I'm sure it will make it easier to move forward with the work you want to do on the codebase!

Chris Murray

Oct 5, 2017, 5:24:47 PM10/5/17
to seltzercrm-dev
Indeed! The intersting/tricky part will be working with peopel who have forked the master/dev branches previously and for whom the upgrade process may not be straightforward! I'd liove to work on helping them upgrade and fold some of their customisations back into the main product :)

All the best,

Chris 8-)