Would like to join the project

Shirley Hicks

May 5, 2015, 6:49:08 PM5/5/15
to seltzer...@googlegroups.com
But dev skills are at the noob  with a CS degree level, documentation skills are excellent. Where would be the most effective place for me to start?

I can contribute the requirements description that we put together for RMM.

Edward L Platt

May 27, 2015, 5:13:30 PM5/27/15
to seltzer...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shirley!

Glad to have your help! Please do sent the requirements description from RMM. If you're interested in helping with the documentation, most of the work will be once development has started in July, but in the meantime, you could read about REST and JSON-LD, which the new version will be using. Around the end of June, we can collaborate with anyone else interested in creating docs for the REST API.

Also, in the next week or two, I'll be launching a kickstarter to fund some focused development efforts this summer. Would you be willing to send some video of you and/or fellow hackerspace folks talking about why you user Seltzer and how improving it will help your space?

-Ed

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 11:49 PM, Shirley Hicks <velochi...@gmail.com> wrote:
But dev skills are at the noob  with a CS degree level, documentation skills are excellent. Where would be the most effective place for me to start?

I can contribute the requirements description that we put together for RMM.

Edward L. Platt

This electronic mail message was sent from my desktop personal computer.  Please forgive any long-winded, overly-prosaic ramblings.

Shirley Hicks

May 28, 2015, 1:00:43 AM5/28/15
to seltzer...@googlegroups.com
Link:  http://wiki.redmountainmakers.org/wiki/RMM_Information_System/Operations_Description

Requirements description:

Red Mountain Makers business information description

Who will the users be?

• RMM Makers
• RMM Members
• Full Members
• Members with work rooms
• guest instructors
• class attendees.
• Meeting attendees

What groups can they be divided in?

• Makers
• Members
• Full Members
• Members with work rooms
• Safety instructors
• Specific topic instructors
• Guest instructors (not members of the makerspace)
• non-member class attendees
• Administrators, Safety

Strictly enforcement of access to different parts of the system. Access to different parts of the system to be on a "needs only" basis.

Outside stakeholders:
• Future program-specific collaborating organizations
• Other members of the Alabama Makerspace Alliance
• Our landlord, Andrew Morrow and Community Properties LLC
• REV Birmingham
• Woodlawn Initiative Foundation
Information that needs to be stored:

Existing forms:
• Event attendance form
• Equipment inventory spreadsheet
• Liability waiver

Forms and systems that need to be developed:
• Space reservation
• Work room/studio rental agreement

How many users do we need to handle?
• Makers and Members - 2014 - 70
- 2015 - 100
- 2016 - 120
• Guest Instructors  - 2014 - 4-6
- 2015 - 10 - 15
- 2016 - 20+
• class attendees, non-member - 2014 - up to 300
 - 2015 - up to 600
     - 2016 - up to 900

What kind of growth rate do we expect?
• Makers and Members - 2014 - 300%
- 2015 - 30%
- 2016 - 20%
• Guest Instructors  - 2014 - starting from zero > 200%
- 2015 - 200%
- 2016 - 200%
• class attendees, non-member - 2014 - starting from zero > 300%
 - 2015 - 200%
     - 2016 - 50%

When do you need the application to be available, realistically?
Rollout needs to be phased.
• Maker and Member access systems to building need to be live by mid-June (ASAP!!).
• Safety certifications and equipment RFID card swipe system should be active by June - July.
• Class and event sign-up and room booking system needs to be live for early August.
• Class member and instructor access needs to be live by the Labor Day weekend (depends on when we decide to start classes).
• Small item and course kit sales can be later, but ideally, Labor Day weekend with class and instructor member access.

What browser version/devices will the users be using?

As of 17 may 2014, RMM Google Analytics:

Browser:
Chrome - 422(43.33%)
Firefox - 248(25.46%)
Safari - 175(17.97%)
Internet Explorer - 82(8.42%)
Android Browser - 17(1.75%)
Safari (in-app) - 13(1.33%)
Mozilla - 4(0.41%)
Mozilla Compatible Agent - 4(0.41%)
IE with Chrome Frame - 3(0.31%)
Amazon Silk - 2(0.21%)

Device:

• Website visitors: desktop/laptop - 76%
• Mobile phone users - 17%
• Tablet - 7%

Mobile device breakdown:

Apple iPhone - 87(37.50%)
Apple iPad - 53(22.84%)
Google Nexus 4 - 6(2.59%)
(not set) - 5(2.16%)
Samsung GT-I9300 Galaxy S III - 5(2.16%)
Samsung GT-I9500 Galaxy S IV - 5(2.16%)
Google Nexus 7 - 4(1.72%)
Samsung SGH-I337 Galaxy S IV - 4(1.72%)
Samsung SGH-M919 Galaxy S IV - 4(1.72%)
Google Nexus 10 - 3(1.29%)

In case of an emergency, what timewindow do we have to get things back up?
We need 3-hour max downtime, with keylock or manual overrides on equipment, room access and cash sale systems (to be discussed)

From where will you need access to the application?
(internal or external?)
Internal - RFID card set-up/enrollment
- Point-of-sale system
– RFID card assignment/activation

What is the goal of this project?

To create an easy-to-use comprehensive space administration system.

What is the goal of the application?

To automate (and make as easy as possible, while observing all legal requirements for information privacy and custody)
• member enrolment
• member safety and security in the space at all times (especially late at night when there are fewer people around)
• shop safety
• instructor recruitment
• class sign-up and sales
• Sales of small supplies and course kits within the space.

Find out which limitations there are to the environment in which you'll deploy the application (which windows version, which .net version, etc - this helps prevent surprises)

Limitations:
System should be easily web-accessible (compliant to AMIA standards) by all users on multiple platforms (phone, iPad, stand alone older desktop computers and laptops).
• Must be secure (credit card transactions, name and address information, etc)
• Should be responsive, with minimal lag time

-----------------------------------
Anticipated use/structure of use

A person comes in as a new Maker or recognized instructor
-- as part of signing up:
• Assigned member number (unique ID)
• Name (first, last)
• Address (needed? yes or no? Would help long term to know where our members are coming from)
• How they found group (?)
• Email
• Phone number (?)
• Nom du net (nick name/user name)
• Payment, method of payment, method for recurring payment either from account (paypal, credit card, check, authorized bank payment from account).
• Payment, method of payment, method for recurring payment to account (paypal, credit card, check, authorized bank payment from account).
• Member status (maker, member, full member, member with room rental)
• Key # (optional not given to makers, but slot available for when maker becomes a member)
• RFID pass card number

Anyone coming into the space needs to sign a waiver.
Request for background medical condition information (required or optional?, with the advisory that releasing that will help if Something Goes Wrong)
Do we request an emergency contact as well? - or is that part of the basic sign-up information?

-----------------------------------
Space access

• RFID passcard - Used by Members to access the space
- Used by makers to log access to equipment on which they have been certified and to make purchases of small consumables.
- Used to give Instructors access to tools and areas
needed to run classes.
-----------------------------------

Initial user ID should also give user editing rights on the group wiki (LDAP integration?)

Certification and Safety tracking system
• Member ID or
• Member Name (first, last)
• Certifications held
• First aid, medical
• Shop
• Instructor type (which ones do we recognize to act as safety instructor, class instructor? Are there any existing cert. modules we can tap?)
• Tool training
• Individual tools
• Safety and first aid equipment
• Skill badges (initially, describe - we can have some fun finding or describing icons)
• Professional certifications (start as fields so people can simply describe the ones they have)
• Need to brainstorm to identify potential areas from which certifications may be held (welding, hazardous materials handling, specialized skills and instruction)?

Class and event registration

Makers, Members and general public must be able to sign up for classes and events.
Cost of class or class series
Discount for makers?
Discount for members
Discount for other sponsoring organizations (future part of database - not needed immediately)
If member or maker, pulls contact information into form
If member of general public or other organization, requests contact information, adds space waiver to sign-off requirements
Class dates
Event ID

Space scheduling
• EventID
• Sponsoring member (s)
• Outside group?
• Rooms in space which will be used
• Single vs. repeating event
• Date (s)
• Times start >
• Time end >> event length
• Specific space equipment used (our future chair supply, all the sewing machines, large screen TV, long-arm quilting machine, etc)

Member-accessible space booking interface
• First one to book generally gets the use of the space
• Manual administrator override accessible by member making the arrangements, so that if members are negotiating access for individual events, things can be re-arranged easily, but with some control, reporting.

Small consumables purchase system (repurposed cigarette or vending machine? Maker space tuck shop?), to be made available as demand generated.
To sell rapidly consumable items, such as:
• Sewing machine needles
• Black and white thread
• Small box cutters
• Saw blades
• Sandpaper
• Solvents
• Disposable brushes
• Fasteners
• Project specific items (by course)
• LEDs
• Blank circuit boards
• Casting silicone
• T-shirts

Keyed to RFID card? Encourage makers, members and guests to maintain positive balance of funds within space. Or have some ability to accept cash (and make change) or accept credit cards. Open to suggestions as to approaches - can start with a basic petty cash box.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "seltzercrm-dev" group.