Would like to help out

Adam Cox

Oct 10, 2017, 11:28:28 AM10/10/17
to seltzercrm-dev
Hey,

I've been lurking for a while now and with some incentive due to Hacktoberfest (https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com) I'd like to start contributing. I'm a developer by trade (PHP, PERL, bash mostly) but don't really have any experience contributing to an open-source project or have much experience with Github. I installed the latest release of Seltzer, as my local makerspace is looking for a CRM. I noticed some bugs and started digging around to find the cause. I noticed that there are some missing 'global $db_connect' statements in 'crm/modules/member/report.inc.php'. Given that this is a bugfix should I submit a pull request to master or dev? I will likely have more questions to bug you with later as I try to muddle my way out of "newb" level.

Cheers,
Adam Cox
Halifax Makerspace

Edward L Platt

Oct 10, 2017, 1:44:55 PM10/10/17
to seltzercrm-dev
Hi Adam, welcome!

If you fix a bug, you can do a pull request against dev. Master always reflects the latest tested release. After at least one other dev has reviewed your code, it'll get pulled in and included in the next release. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask! I've been on a bit of a hiatus since I started a phd program, but Chris, Josh, and others have been keeping things moving forward. So it's exciting to have you interested!

Happy hacking,
Ed

Edward L. Platt
https://elplatt.com | @elplatt | elp...@octodon.social

Tips for stopping email overload: https://hbr.org/2012/02/stop-email-overload-1

Edward L Platt

Oct 10, 2017, 1:45:55 PM10/10/17
to seltzercrm-dev
Oh, and also, if you see other pull requests, please feel free to jump in and review them! And don't forget to add yourself to the contributors file :)

Chris Murray

Oct 11, 2017, 5:15:04 PM10/11/17
to seltzercrm-dev
Adam,

Great to have you on board & good spot with the missing variables!

All the best,

Chris 8-)

Adam Cox

Oct 16, 2017, 1:40:30 PM10/16/17
to seltzercrm-dev
Alright, I got a bit busy for a few days but finally got around to figuring out what I needed to make the pull request. If I missed anything regarding procedure, design standards, etc. let me know.
Cheers,
Adam