Deep Tutorial For SELKS.

fadi abusafat

Jun 17, 2019, 5:33:46 AM6/17/19
to SELKS
Hi Sir.

I wish to see you.

Please I would like to introduce myself; my name is Fadi Abusafat and I am doing a PhD about Security into Smart City using IDs. Right now, I am using SELKS due to it supportable for IDs Suricata engine but I did not find enough information about. For example, I installed but several iconic not appears on Desktop such as FirstTimeSetup.

Please, could you provide me with Deep Tutorial starting form ideal setup and how to use Suricata engine.

Thank you so much.

Many Thanks.

Fadi !!!

Peter Manev

Jun 17, 2019, 6:42:37 AM6/17/19
to fadi abusafat, SELKS
Hi Fadi,

Thank you for trying out SELKS.

How did you install SELKS ? did the install finished ok, no issues ?
Did you do the first time set up like explained here -
https://github.com/StamusNetworks/SELKS/wiki/First-time-setup

Thank you
> --
> IRC: Let's talk about SELKS on Freenode IRC on the #SELKS channel
> Wiki: https://github.com/StamusNetworks/SELKS/wiki
> GitHub: https://github.com/StamusNetworks/SELKS
> Blog: https://www.stamus-networks.com/theblog/
> Twitter: @StamusN
> g+: Stamus Networks
> ---

Regards,
Peter Manev

Damien HOTZ

Jun 17, 2019, 7:19:07 AM6/17/19
to Peter Manev, fadi abusafat, SELKS
Hello,

The week before i have test both with or without desktop.
The desktop version : double click on the link for firstconfiguration : nothing (terminal pop up with nothing)
The no desktop version : no problem.

Use the no-desktop version :)

Kind regards

Peter Manev

Jun 17, 2019, 7:22:11 AM6/17/19
to Damien HOTZ, fadi abusafat, SELKS
On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 2:19 PM Damien HOTZ <damien...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The week before i have test both with or without desktop.
> The desktop version : double click on the link for firstconfiguration : nothing (terminal pop up with nothing)

What happens if you run it from the command line ?
Which user do you log in with?
--
Regards,
Peter Manev

Damien HOTZ

Jun 17, 2019, 7:27:28 AM6/17/19
to Peter Manev, fadi abusafat, SELKS
I didn't test the command line with the desktop version.
I was log with the user selks-user. I guess this is a problem because we need to be root.

Peter Manev

Jun 17, 2019, 8:27:28 AM6/17/19
On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 2:27 PM Damien HOTZ <damien...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I didn't test the command line with the desktop version.
> I was log with the user selks-user. I guess this is a problem because we need to be root.

It should not matter - but was wondering if it succeeds under cmd - I
was hoping it could give us a hint.
--
Regards,
Peter Manev

Damien HOTZ

Jun 18, 2019, 3:08:38 AM6/18/19
to Peter Manev, fadi abusafat, SELKS
Ok,

I have just reboote my desktop version and the link for FirstTime.... or Setup-IDS-... as for selks-user password now and it's work...
IT magic ahah.
I hope Fadi get it's work

Peter Manev

Jun 18, 2019, 3:44:40 AM6/18/19
On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 10:08 AM Damien HOTZ <damien...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok,
>
> I have just reboote my desktop version and the link for FirstTime.... or Setup-IDS-... as for selks-user password now and it's work...
> IT magic ahah.
> I hope Fadi get it's work

Was it a case where the host was under resourced or under pressure ?
--
Regards,
Peter Manev

Scarpafo Scarpafo

Jun 18, 2019, 5:00:43 AM6/18/19
to Peter Manev, Damien HOTZ, fadi abusafat, SELKS
Maybe, it was 2cpu, 6 go RAM.