Will Deleting Old Files Selenium is Accessing cause Issues?

Dominic Wiltermood

Nov 28, 2023, 11:57:01 PM11/28/23
to Selenium Users
Summary
We have Selenium working & it creates tons of temp files. To mitigate this, we run scripts (Powershell scripts pushed via Ninja) to delete files that have not been accessed in more than 7 days.

Our goal is to keep the storage from maxing out on these Selenium boxes

Problem
Selenium is accessing all files in the 'SystemTemp' folder when it runs, therefore, the scripts don't delete anything.

Question #1
We're wondering if manually deleting files older than 7 days causes any problems for Selenium since it's accessing these files each day.

Question #2
Does Selenium need to access these folders from previous days to work? if it doesn't need to, can we stop it from doing so?

Selenium Pic.jpg

⇜Krishnan Mahadevan⇝

Nov 29, 2023, 11:06:01 PM11/29/23
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
What version of Selenium are you using?
What are the contents of one of these directories? Can you share that details ?

Selenium by itself creates some temp files, when firefox browser is involved (atleast it used to in 3.x series). AFAIK selenium doesn't need those temp files to be available in the same location and it should be fine if you delete them manually once and check how it goes.

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan Mahadevan

My Technical Scribblings @ https://rationaleemotions.com/

Nortier David

Dec 4, 2023, 3:10:59 AM12/4/23
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

Hello

And what about the creation date ?

Dec 4, 2023, 3:23:27 PM12/4/23
to Selenium Users
Hi,
Deleting these files will not cause an issue.
These files should be automatically deleted when the tests quit the browser (driver.quit()).
If the files are not deleted, then can you see a lot of chromedriver tasks running in Taskmaster once the tests are finished running?  If so then investigate to see why.

Cheers,
Adrian.