Selenium detecting incorrect version of Chromedriver?

Jeff Stevens

May 15, 2022, 12:56:27 AM5/15/22
to Selenium Users
Hello!

We just updated to Chrome version 101, and so we just updated our Chromedriver files to 101 as well and dropped them in our pcs's chrome application folders.

Our computers run selenium, and when we launched our selenium apps, we got the following message in python:

selenium.common.exceptions.SessionNotCreatedException: Message: session not created: This version of ChromeDriver only supports Chrome version 99
Current browser version is 101.0.4951.64 with binary path C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

We know for a fact that we placed the correct version of chromedriver in the application folders and removed the old version, so we were curious if there might be any other place where an old chromedriver installation might be picked up, or if this was just a bug? We would like to get the correct version of chromedriver so selenium starts working again :)

Any help is appreciated!

Nortier David

May 16, 2022, 3:22:34 AM5/16/22
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

Hello

And chromedriver downloaded from https://chromedriver.storage.googleapis.com/index.html?path=101.0.4951.41/

No problem for me using c#

(just a pity that we don’t see the version of the exe once downloaded)

David

May 16, 2022, 8:32:30 AM5/16/22
to Selenium Users
Thanks for the reply!

I downloaded this version of Chromedriver on my computer. I then copied and pasted the chromedriver.exe into my chrome installation's application folder. I started my python program running selenium and this was the error message it returned:

selenium.common.exceptions.SessionNotCreatedException: Message: session not created: This version of ChromeDriver only supports Chrome version 96
Current browser version is 101.0.4951.54 with binary path C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

I'm wondering if my selenium is picking up another chromedriver installation on my computer somewhere else or if my selenium is bugged. This was previously not a problem until I updated to  Chrome 101.

Nortier David

May 16, 2022, 11:28:28 AM5/16/22
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

Sorry, I don’t know Python  (only the name)

May 16, 2022, 1:44:43 PM5/16/22
to Selenium Users
I suggest searching for chromedriver.exe on your computer and see how many show up.
At a command prompt chromedriver.exe --version should tell you its version.

Tejas M R

May 17, 2022, 2:19:13 AM5/17/22
to Selenium Users
You can go to powershell and type `Which chromedriver`
Check if the location printed by this command is same as your chromedriver. You can replace it if it is the old version.
This should work if chromedriver.exe is in your Path. Else you can put the chromedriver.exe to C:\Windows

Nortier David

May 17, 2022, 4:07:09 AM5/17/22
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

You can go to powershell and type `Which chromedriver` : ? doesn’t work this command

May 17, 2022, 12:54:34 PM5/17/22
to Selenium Users
Hi all, thanks for the help!

Here was the issue that we discovered:

We are using the python selenium package with our software. We were putting the chromedriver.exe file in the   "C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\" folder. It just so happened that we had an older version of chromedriver.exe sitting in the same folder where the python selenium file was being run from. Instead of the chromedriver.exe file that was updated, sitting in the chrome application folder, being used, the chromedriver.exe file that was chosen to be used happened to be the one in the same folder as the python selenium file.

I'm sure this could have been fixed by adding the newer chromedriver.exe to the path, but the python selenium package picked up the old chromedriver in the same folder as it before the new one.

We just deleted the old chromedriver and replaced it with the new one. Works like a charm. Thanks for all the support! If you have a similar issue with your python selenium package, I recommend checking to see if an older chromedriver exists in the same folder as your python script.