Docker images with overlay2 storage driver

Tom Hanstra

Sep 8, 2021, 12:24:22 AM9/8/21
to Selenium Users
We regularly use docker images with Selenium for smoke tests within AWS. Recently, AWS alerted us that they will be requiring changes so the Selenium docker image when used with AWS Codebuild. The requirement will be to start using the overlay2 version of the OverlayFS storage driver.

Is this something on the radar of those who build the Selenium docker images?  Can we expect that this will be added into the builds?  Or will individual users have to address this locally in all cases.

Any information on this would be useful.

Thanks,
Tom Hanstra
Systems Administrator
University of Notre Dame

Diego Molina

Sep 9, 2021, 8:28:12 AM9/9/21
to Selenium Users
Maybe I am missing something, but why do the images need a change?

Tom Hanstra

Sep 9, 2021, 8:55:17 AM9/9/21
to Selenium Users
AWS is updating its CodeBuild service to require the additional parameter on build. The background is that AWS will be changing the OS on which they run CodeBuild processing. Once they switch over to the new OS, that OS will require the overlay2 driver rather than the current driver and overlay2 requires the extra parameter for VOLUME. Without it, the container will probably fail.

I cannot say how prevalent the use of the Selenium containers is within AWS CodeBuild. I only know that we make regular use of them for Smoke Tests on service updates and would really prefer to continue using the builds from DockerHub. Right now, because of concern for lost functionality, we are debating creating our own. I'm really hoping the changes might be either already in the current builds or easily added so that we can continue to use the DockerHub versions.

Hope that explains things a bit more.

Tom

Diego Molina

Sep 9, 2021, 9:06:17 AM9/9/21
to Selenium Users
Right, but after reading briefly the docs related to overlay2, I cannot find anything that implies that images will stop working. Probably you can ask AWS CodeBuild and share their reply? In any case, if something needs to be changed, we are happy to discuss the changes over a feature request or a pull request.