The problem is I never know what will be exported. For example, pause doesn't get exported into a Thread.Sleep(n);
Having looked into the SE-IDE source code and looking at some of the documentation I know it's old. Click 1. Build and Preferences. The docs are from 2009! Plus the SE-IDE itself is a Legacy Extension. So the code is very old and even when it does export all of the SE-IDE commands I can't get web driver to reliably click a link in IE.
What I did was, I guess, write some middleware between the html files and the C# files that adds in the commands that the C# formatter is missing. I did it in C# though because I didn't want to modify the extension only to lose my work if SE-IDE ever upgrades to a modern Firefox extension.
So that's where I'm at. I feel a bit betrayed by Selenium Webdriver because clicks "sometimes" don't work in IE. I've hacked and patched the C# file that SE-IDE exports and I have created a monster. It works when I coddle it but there's no way I could hand it over to the testers.
For the record I think SE-IDE is great. It just seems whoever was carrying the ball has stopped.
Second, with respect to challenges with IE, you would fare better with specific scenarios instead of saying in essence, "Sometimes, some things don't work." Such statements are so vague as to be nearly meaningless. Specific bugs can be fixed, but must be reported in a reproducible format. Note that a reproducible issue will nearly always require access to an HTML page as well as the Selenium code that surfaces the issue, but often, issue reporters are unwilling to provide such a page.
Finally, I resent the implication that the project team has "dropped the ball." The team is made up of volunteers, none of whom are paid for their work on Selenium. If you have an issue with how something is maintained, you're welcome to contact the developers (the best communication channel is the project IRC channel, #selenium, found on Freenode), and begin contributing.