Selenium RC command line parameters are not documented

QA_manager

Jul 9, 2010, 6:10:40 PM7/9/10
to Selenium Developers
The following Selenium-RC command line parameters appear to be
completely undocumented:

-forcedBrowserMode
-forcedBrowserModeRestOfLines
-userContentTransformation
-ensureCleanSession

When I use Google to search http://seleniumhq.org/ I get zero hits for
those parameters.

I found some documentation for these:

-dontInjectRegex
-trustAllSSLCertificates
-userJsInjection

but I can't call it informative. It is simply a JavaDoc with no
explanation:
http://release.seleniumhq.org/selenium-remote-control/1.0-beta-2/doc/server/org/openqa/selenium/server/RemoteControlConfiguration.html

All of these parameters appear to exist in Selenium Server 1.0.3 - the
Selenium-RC jar lists them if you launch it with an invalid parameter,
so I think they are probably really implemented. I know that -
forcedBrowserMode works; I found some documentation for it on some
other site.

What do we need to do in order to document these? Who can do it?

Santiago Suarez Ordoñez

Jul 9, 2010, 6:22:11 PM7/9/10
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
In the docs we only decided to document the most important/complex options.
You should be able to get the help doc for all commands by running:

java -jar selenium-server.jar -h

For more info:
Best,
Santi

Paul Grandjean

Jul 9, 2010, 6:36:14 PM7/9/10
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Interesting, I'd want to know if they are still being used, or if they are obsolete and should be depracated.  If they're still useful for something, perhaps I can find some time to add them to the docs.

Kevin Menard

Jul 9, 2010, 7:00:12 PM7/9/10
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
A handful of them do not print any usage information out when using
the "-h" flag. "ensureCleanSession" falls into this category, for
example.

--
Kevin

Ross Patterson

Jul 19, 2010, 10:52:57 AM7/19/10
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com

A while ago, I surveyed the RC 1.0.1 code, and found the following options that were not displayed by -h:

·         -multiWindow - opposite of -singleWindow.

·         -portDriversShouldContact <port> - ???

·         -noBrowserSessionReuse - opposite of -browserSessionReuse

·         -debugURL <url> - ???

·         -jettyThreads <int> -  ???

·         -honor-system-proxy -  ???

·         -selfTest - ???

·         -D<property>=<value> - set a Java property

Likewise, there are a number of Java properties that RC 1.0.1 uses, none of which are displayed by –h:

·         selenium.forcedBrowserMode <browser> - same as -forcedBrowserModeRestOfLine

·         selenium.proxyInjectionMode <bool> - true is same as -proxyInjectionMode

·         selenium.browserSideLog <bool> - true is same as -browserSideLog

·         selenium.debugMode <bool> - true is same as -debug

·         selenium.LOGGER <logFileName> - same as -log

·         selenium.port <nnnn> - same as -port

·         http.proxyHost - ???

·         http.proxyPort - ???

·         http.nonProxyHosts - ???

·         selenium.slowMode <nnnn> - milliseconds to pause between commands

·         org.mortbay.util.FileResource.checkAliases <bool> - ??? (default=true)

·         file.encoding - ???

·         selenium.javascript.dir - ???

·         slowResources - ???

Ross

QA_manager

Jul 21, 2010, 9:15:37 AM7/21/10
to Selenium Developers
I might point out that '-h' is not an option either; launching the
server with a '-h' option produces "unrecognized argument: -h",
followed by a list of (most) of the recognized options.

Ross Patterson

Jul 21, 2010, 9:36:28 AM7/21/10
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
My mistake, the correct option is "-help". I have an ingrained mental block against "-longname" options, due to a long exposure to GNU tools :-)

Ross