Configure Selenesse version of Firefox for Add-Ins?

steven.yetter

Aug 23, 2011, 10:32:38 AM8/23/11
to selenesse-users
Does anyone know how to configure Selenesse's use of Selenium/Firefox
so that when it executes Firefox, the Selenium Add-in and Firebug are
present?

I installed Selenium Add-In. I run Firefox. I have access to tools
giving me field identifiers that I use in Selenium Scripts.

Then I run Selenesse, create tests with those scripts, modify them
to be scenarios and call scenarios. When I run Selenesse, it brings
up Selenium server, and Firefox, and the Firefox version is run
without Add-ins. When the test is broken for some reason, I can't use
the Firefox debug or Firefox IDE to explore what went wrong.

So I guess I want the Selenium server instance of Firefox to be
configured differently.

Chris McMahon

Aug 23, 2011, 10:45:47 AM8/23/11
to selenes...@googlegroups.com

I'm pretty sure this is a by-product of how Se works.  Se1 opens the page inside a frame and injects javascript into that frame.  I'm pretty sure the default FF profile Se creates at run time is set up to not allow any other processes access to the browser in the frame.  Se2 works a little differently, but the same sort of situation applies.

I believe that it is possible to tell Se to use custom profiles for FF, but I've never done this myself.  You might want to take this question to the selenium mail list, stackoverflow, or #selenium on freenode in IRC.  I've had good luck with the #selenium IRC channel in the past.

BTW, my practice has been to identify the issues in the tests and then use my own comfortable FF with my own profile to do the analysis.  I actually find this easier than trying to work within the FF instance Se creates, because I know where all my tools are.

-Chris

steven.yetter

Aug 23, 2011, 6:04:14 PM8/23/11
to selenesse-users
The problem comes when it is working just fine in the "nice" Firefox
environment with all the tools, but not in the Selenesse environment.
For example, I created a nice long Xpath expression that was needed
because the tag on a button changes on every execution. The Xpath
worked nicely in Firefox. But it picked a larger area than the
clickable button. The Xpath worked on Waiting for the element, but
the |click| xpath | line of the test did nothing. In Firefox, I
knew how to find/highlight the element on the page, but didn't know
how to simulate a click on the tag. There is also a significant gap
between the scenarios that are run and the selenium scripts that were
first created, meaning that I don't even have a Selenium IDE script
that matches what is played in Selenesse.

If you can think of another tip that would help, I'd appreciate it.

On Aug 23, 10:45 am, Chris McMahon <christopher.mcma...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I'm pretty sure this is a by-product of how Se works.  Se1 opens the page
> inside a frame and injects javascript into that frame.  I'm pretty sure the
> default FF profile Se creates at run time is set up to not allow any other
> processes access to the browser in the frame.  Se2 works a little
> differently, but the same sort of situation applies.
>
> I believe that it is possible to tell Se to use custom profiles for FF, but
> I've never done this myself.  You might want to take this question to the
> selenium mail list, stackoverflow, or #selenium on freenode in IRC.  I've
> had good luck with the #selenium IRC channel in the past.
>
> BTW, my practice has been to identify the issues in the tests and then use
> my own comfortable FF with my own profile to do the analysis.  I actually
> find this easier than trying to work within the FF instance Se creates,
> because I know where all my tools are.
>
> -Chris
>
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 8:32 AM, steven.yetter <steven.yet...@hotmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Does anyone know how to configure Selenesse's use of Selenium/Firefox
> > so that when it executes Firefox, the Selenium Add-in and Firebug are
> > present?
>
> > I installed Selenium Add-In. I run Firefox.  I have access to tools
> > giving me field identifiers that I use in Selenium Scripts.
>
> > Then I run Selenesse, create tests  with those scripts,  modify them
> > to be scenarios and call scenarios.  When I run Selenesse, it brings
> > up Selenium server, and Firefox, and the Firefox version is run
> > without Add-ins.  When the test is broken for some reason, I can't use
> > the Firefox debug or Firefox IDE to explore what went wrong.
>
> > So I guess I want the Selenium server instance of Firefox to be
> > configured differently.- Hide quoted text -

David Patrick

Apr 19, 2012, 12:41:06 PM4/19/12
to selenes...@googlegroups.com
I have been poking around a bit on Google this afternoon, and found you can start the Selenium server with a Firefox Profile command. The Syntax is:

java -jar selenium-server-standalone-2.20.0.jar -port 5550 -firefoxProfileTemplate C:\selenium

where C:\selenium is where I have created a new Firefox profile. I have tried this, but Se stills seems to want to create a temporary Profile each time, that does not include Se IDE I had installed previously.

David Patrick

Apr 19, 2012, 1:13:38 PM4/19/12
to selenes...@googlegroups.com

OK, so a bit of an update...

When Selenium RC starts up, it seems to copy the Profile defined in the firefoxProfileTemplate parameter into a temporary one for this session. This seems to be working as when Firefox starts I can see all the Se IDE tools that I have installed.

The problem now comes in that Firefox when it starts, is popping up the Add-Ons window telling me that 3 new Add-Ons have been installed (DocumentReadyState; KillFF and Selenium RC Runner) My thought is that these are the access points for Selenesse.

What is not happening still is the next step of launching the RemoteRunner,html page. Any ideas?