Want select2 not to select first option by default

pratee...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2016, 3:51:36 PM6/3/16
to select2
HI Folks,

I am using select2 library over a search bar. What happens is when the search results appear in the drop-down as list select2 automatically gives first option as selected, which I don't want.

I want no option to be selected by default instead want to get it selected whenever the user presses and up/down arrow key after the results appear.

Can some-one please help me in achieving this ?

Thanks.

bruno.m...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2016, 6:58:46 PM8/16/16
to select2, pratee...@gmail.com
This is not an answer at all and i'm sorry for this false hope but an answer would surely help me too !

Kevin Brown

Aug 16, 2016, 9:34:55 PM8/16/16
to select2, pratee...@gmail.com

This behaviour exists not because Select2 is forcing it, but because the browser is auto-selecting the first option for you. We can't control that, we can only work around it. Your best option is to use the placeholder support in Select2 and include a blank option tag as your default selection.

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016, 18:58 <bruno.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
This is not an answer at all and i'm sorry for this false hope but an answer would surely help me too !

bruno.m...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2016, 6:14:48 AM8/17/16
to select2, pratee...@gmail.com
Thanks ! :D

jp3...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2018, 11:03:12 AM2/15/18
to select2
// This may help some one although this is an old post.

$('#keywordselect').select2({
placeholder: 'Select...',
closeOnSelect: false,
multiple: true,
});

// one clears the box content and the other clears the highlighting
$('#keywordselect').val(null);
$('.select2-selection__rendered').html('');

jaji...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2018, 3:54:08 PM7/26/18
to select2

bharath...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2018, 5:42:03 AM8/1/18
to select2

add empty option to top of the <select> tag . Do this before intialization
<option></option>

mikibe...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2019, 5:04:32 AM12/10/19
to select2
If its still relevant to someone, here's the fix:

  $("#yourelementid").select2({ [options]... });

  ..
  $("#yourelementid").val("")
  $("#yourelementid").trigger("change");

Joost Roetgering

Sep 26, 2022, 4:13:02 AM9/26/22
to select2
For anyone that still needs it. If you add multiple="multiple" to the select element it won't auto select the first option. For example:

<select class="select-class"  multiple="multiple">
<option value="value">value</option>
</select>

Sumit Pradhan

Oct 12, 2022, 4:53:12 AM10/12/22
to sel...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your response.

Best of Regards,
Sumit Pradhan
Cell: 9841960029

sumit khatri

Jan 17, 2023, 2:50:39 AM1/17/23
to select2
If you are working on change events,

you can use $("#select").val(0);
untill you donot have option with val=0;

२०२२ अक्टोबर १२, बुधबार का दिन १४:३८:१२ UTC+5:45 बजे pradhan...@gmail.com ले यस्तो लेख्नुभयो: