Alpha-Indices on different sampling rates

Ramona Mattmüller

Oct 12, 2023, 11:36:52 AM10/12/23
to seewave
Dear all,

I wanted to ask if anyone has experience with applying the alpha-indices to audio files with different sampling rates.
I have a large dataset of marine sound recordings over several years. However, different recording devices and different sampling rates were used. I would like to calculate the indices for all these data to make comparisons across regions and time. However, I wonder if applying a bandpass filter is sufficient or do I need to decimate all the files with high sampling rates to the smallest sampling rate applied to get comparable index values? But I think I need to decimate the data first since the time and frequency resolution depend on the sampling rate.
I hope someone would like to share their ideas or thoughts on this.

The idea is to calculate the indices broadband, and the range of interest is 10 - 840 Hz and 10 - 3 428 Hz.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
All the best,
Ramona

Jérôme SUEUR

Oct 13, 2023, 10:22:49 AM10/13/23
to seewave GROUP
Dear Ramona,
Yes this is definitely advised to compare files that have the same sampling rate as most of the indices are based on the Fourier transform which time*freq resolution depends on the sampling rate.
HTH
Jerome

Oct 15, 2023, 7:23:02 AM10/15/23
to seewave
Dear Jerome,

thank you for your fast response! That is what I assumed, but it's good to have it confirmed.

All the best,
Ramona