Probs with fadew?

Simon Linke

Aug 23, 2022, 2:20:46 AM8/23/22
to seewave
Hi Jerome and crew - to run some simulations I'm 'remixing' some soundscapes.

I have issues with fadew (or maybe I don't fully understand it).

I have 3 segments -start, crossover and end.
start is created by cutw(wav)
end is also created by cutw(wav2)
mid is created by fadew(wav1)

Now the curious bit is that the the cutw stay integers
start.PNG
while the fadew outputs are some floating point number between -1 and 1
Capture.PNG
So when I now do pastew(start.left, mid.left) there's obviously a big block of silence.

Any clue how I can the fadew into the same integer wave format?
Simon

Jérôme SUEUR

Aug 29, 2022, 3:17:12 PM8/29/22
to seewave GROUP
Hi Simon,

This is because fadew() scale first the input by its maximum so that the fade effects can be applied. It could have been better, I admit.

A solution could be to multiply the ouput of fadew() by the maximum of its input, that is:
mid.left <- max(wav1)*fade(wav1)

So with tico:
midleft <- max(tico@left)*fadew(tico, din=0.1, dout=0.1, out="Wave")

Does that work?
Best
Jerome

Oct 10, 2022, 3:25:56 AM10/10/22
to seewave
Haha, I totally forgot I posted that. I'll try tomorrow. Thanks Jerome :)