RE: can the SEEK storage platform be installed in the cloud? - answer is yes

Taylor, Ronald C

Nov 17, 2014, 1:31:58 PM11/17/14
to Stuart Owen, seek4s...@googlegroups.com, Quyen Nguyen, Wiley, Steven, Robert Haines, Brown, David M JR, Taylor, Ronald C

Hi Stuart,

Thanks! Good to know. Our Linux/cloud/supercomputing gurus here at PNNL are seriously considering putting a copy of SEEK in a cloud environment for us. If that proceeds, they might want to contact Mr. Haines at your U of Manchester SEEK team, if they run into a problem or have a question.  Stay tuned.

Ron

Ronald Taylor, Ph.D.

Computational Biology & Bioinformatics Group

Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (U.S. Dept of Energy/Battelle)

Richland, WA 99352

phone: (509) 372-6568

email: ronald...@pnnl.gov

Nov 17, 2014, 2:10:37 PM11/17/14
to Taylor, Ronald C, Stuart Owen, seek4s...@googlegroups.com, Quyen Nguyen, Wiley, Steven, Brown, David M JR
Hi Ronald,

Sorry for not replying earlier.

> Thanks! Good to know. Our Linux/cloud/supercomputing gurus here at PNNL
> are seriously considering putting a copy of SEEK in a cloud environment
> for us. If that proceeds, they might want to contact Mr. Haines at your
> U of Manchester SEEK team, if they run into a problem or have a
> question. Stay tuned.

As Stuart says we have installed a very simple SEEK setup in AWS. It
doesn't auto load-balance or anything like that as we've never had the
need to do that. In theory all you'd need to do to load-balance SEEK is
make sure that all your balanced SEEKs connect to the same database and
have access to a shared file-system (such as S3 in AWS).

Happy to help if I can.

Best wishes,
Rob

> Ronald Taylor, Ph.D.
>
> Computational Biology & Bioinformatics Group
>
> Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (U.S. Dept of Energy/Battelle)
>
> Richland, WA 99352
>
> phone: (509) 372-6568

Robert Haines
myGrid Team
School of Computer Science
University of Manchester

minn...@gmail.com

May 14, 2018, 4:30:00 PM5/14/18
to SEEK
Hi,

We have installed SEEK and we are assessing the tool to see if it satisfies our requirements list one of which being storing the files in AWS S3.
We have an S3 bucket and I have changed the amazon_s3.yml file in the config directory to point to our bucket.
Now I need to change the configurations to use the S3 and this is were I am struggling.
I am hoping to use your help with this as well as initializing Taverna workflows through seek which falls under a different thread.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Mahsa

Stuart Owen

May 15, 2018, 11:26:33 AM5/15/18
to seek4s...@googlegroups.com

HI Masha,

I think that amazon_s3.yml file came from a plugin at some point, and I'm not sure that alone it will be all that you need to do.

SEEK was once run using an S3 store, but not for some time.

SEEK uses both an SQL database for storing basic information, and also the local drive for storing files, such as uploaded assets. The location of the stored file is by default "filestore/" relative to the root  of the SEEK directory, but can also be reconfigured to point to another disk or folder.

Would a simple solution of mounting an S3 store as a folder, and then using this as the SEEK filestore be a suitable solution? There are a number of linux solutions for mounting S3 stores, some are described in: https://cloud.netapp.com/blog/amazon-s3-as-a-file-system

regards,

Stuart

MIN GEIN

May 21, 2018, 10:48:38 AM5/21/18
to seek4s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stuart,

Thank you for the comment.
Your solution to mount S3 store as a folder is good for us since we are just evaluating the software now.
We learnt there are also other ways of syncing the "filetore" folder with  S3 that will be good enough for now.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Masha

Robert Haines