login fails in Firefox

Sascha Schäuble

Jan 17, 2024, 7:39:09 AMJan 17
to SEEK Developers
Hello everyone,

we are running SEEK with docker-compose.
I successfully upgraded several iterations from v1.9.2 to v1.13.4.
I can access and log in into SEEK just fine using chromium or opera.
However, a problem already present before the update:
Login via a Firefox browser instance fails.
Tested before and after deleting cookies and also in private mode. After executing a login, it simply moves to the start page of SEEK, but the user is not logged in. Intentionally using a wrong password does not provide a feedback message, but user remains on the log in form.
My apologies if this issue/behavior was already addressed elsewhere and I did not find it. Any help/suggestion what this may cause and how to resolve it is much appreciated.

Kind regards
Sascha

Finn Bacall

Jan 17, 2024, 10:34:57 AMJan 17
to Sascha Schäuble, SEEK Developers

Hi Sascha,

If you open the developer tools in Firefox (press the F12 key), and then click the "Console" tab, are there any red error messages that appear when trying to log in?

Also, which web server are you using to proxy requests to the docker container? and is it using HTTPS?

Cheers,

Finn

Sascha Schäuble

Jan 17, 2024, 11:23:17 AMJan 17
to SEEK Developers
Dear Finn,

thanks a bunch for your prompt answer.
The SEEK was setup for production on a server of ours.
Currently, I cannot tell which server our IT was setting up for the SEEK to run initially (I will have to investigate if this is important), but what I can say is that we are using HTTPS.
Regarding the console, nothing appeared as red, however, we received some warning signs, including the following description:
"
InstallTrigger is deprecated and will be removed in the future. constants.js:50:14
Cookie “_seek_session” does not have a proper “SameSite” attribute value. Soon, cookies without the “SameSite” attribute or with an invalid value will be treated as “Lax”. This means that the cookie will no longer be sent in third-party contexts. If your application depends on this cookie being available in such contexts, please add the “SameSite=None“ attribute to it. To know more about the “SameSite“ attribute, read https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Web/HTTP/Headers/Set-Cookie/SameSite
"
Of note, I do not know if it helps, but I used to use the SEEK with firefox just fine. It's only recently that I found out the login is not functioning anymore (at least not in firefox).

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Best wishes
Sascha

Finn Bacall

Jan 24, 2024, 7:44:38 AMJan 24
to Sascha Schäuble, SEEK Developers

Hi Sascha,

I know Firefox can be more strict regarding security than other browsers, but in this case I'm not really sure what the issue could be.

I use Firefox as my primary browser and have not noticed any issues (I also see the warning about _seek_session).

Do you have any additional privacy settings/extensions in your Firefox browser?

Is your browser storing the SEEK cookie? (Click top-right menu > Settings > Privacy & Security > scroll down to "Cookies and Site Data" and look in "Manage Data".

Finn

Sascha Schäuble

Jan 24, 2024, 8:14:48 AMJan 24
to SEEK Developers
Hi Finn,

very interesting, especially that Firefox might not be the root of the problem since it is working for you.
I could not resolve it so far.
I tried private mode and also disabling all add-ons. (uBlock would be an obvious suspicious add-on).
I checked cookies and yes, it stores some related to the url.

Thanks again for communicating!

Sascha