local.rules not working

cjimm...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2017, 6:07:11 AM6/15/17
to security-onion

Just downloaded the latest version and installed. Trying to test ping alert using local.rules but unfortunately alert is not showing.

My rules is as follows:

alert icmp any any -> (msg:"ICMP Testing"; sid:1000001; rev:1:)

Wes Lambert

Jun 15, 2017, 7:36:51 AM6/15/17
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Please provide the output of sostat-redacted, attaching as a plain text file, or by using a service like Pastebin.com.

Thanks,
Wes

--
Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/securityonion

KennyWap

Jun 15, 2017, 11:33:01 AM6/15/17
to security-onion

> My rules is as follows:
>
> alert icmp any any -> (msg:"ICMP Testing"; sid:1000001; rev:1:)

the rule is missing a little syntax, maybe try:

alert icmp any any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"ICMP Testing"; sid:1000001; rev:1;)

and dont forget that the end is a semicolon and not a colon.

custsigs_F13_snort-rule.jpg

cjimm...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2017, 1:20:28 AM6/21/17
to security-onion

Tried as per your syntax, but still issue persists.

cjimm...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2017, 1:23:11 AM6/21/17
to security-onion
On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 5:06:51 PM UTC+5:30, Wes wrote:
> Please provide the output of sostat-redacted, attaching as a plain text file, or by using a service like Pastebin.com.
>

> Thanks,
> Wes
>

> On Jun 15, 2017 6:07 AM, <cjimm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Just downloaded the latest version and installed. Trying to test ping alert using local.rules but unfortunately alert is not showing.
>

> My rules is as follows:
>

> alert icmp any any -> (msg:"ICMP Testing"; sid:1000001; rev:1:)
>

> --
>
> Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
>
> https://twitter.com/securityonion
>
> ---

> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/security-onion.

PFA of sostat-redacted output

New File.txt

Wes Lambert

Jun 21, 2017, 7:29:57 AM6/21/17
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Is it simply not triggering, or causing an error?

Try checking /var/log/nsm/hostname-interface/snortu-1.log for clues and please post the exact rule syntax you are attempting to use.

Thanks,
Wes

Wes Lambert

Jun 21, 2017, 7:30:42 AM6/21/17
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Also ensure you run rule-update on the machine.

cjimm...@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2017, 6:03:12 AM6/22/17
to security-onion
I didn't see any error and run rule-update command also. PFA of snort-1 log

cjimm...@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2017, 6:03:59 AM6/22/17
to security-onion
snortu-1.log

Wes Lambert

Jun 22, 2017, 8:25:31 AM6/22/17
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried something like this, in case you are not getting traffic to $HOME_NET?

alert icmp any any -> any any (msg: "ICMP Testing"; sid:1000001; rev:1;)

Thanks,
Wes

cjimm...@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2017, 9:28:26 AM6/22/17
to security-onion
local.rules

KennyWap

Jun 22, 2017, 10:03:49 AM6/22/17
to security-onion
After viewing your redacted sostat it seems that the ICMP and UDP rules are triggering:

Top 50 All time Sguil Events
Totals GenID:SigID Signature
1686 1:1000003 UDP Testing Rule
646 1:1000001 ICMP Testing Rule
2 1:2019512 ET POLICY Possible IP Check api.ipify.org
1 1:2100498 GPL ATTACK_RESPONSE id check returned root
Total
2335

Last update

Where is it that you cannot view them? in Sguil? ELSA?

cjimm...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2017, 7:45:24 AM6/26/17
to security-onion

Sguil.

KennyWap

Jun 26, 2017, 10:58:44 AM6/26/17
to security-onion
Are you using SO with in a VM? I have had issues with Sguil when working with a snapshot and have not found a fix yet..

cjimm...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2017, 2:32:43 AM6/27/17
to security-onion
On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 8:28:44 PM UTC+5:30, KennyWap wrote:
> Are you using SO with in a VM? I have had issues with Sguil when working with a snapshot and have not found a fix yet..

Yes. I installed in a Hyper-V machine.

Doug Burks

Jun 28, 2017, 8:27:57 AM6/28/17
to securit...@googlegroups.com
If sostat shows Sguil events, I would expect the Sguil client to show events.

When you log into Sguil and it asks which networks to monitor are you
clicking the "Select All" button?

--
Doug Burks

cjimm...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2017, 7:32:39 AM7/6/17
to security-onion

> >> Are you using SO with in a VM? I have had issues with Sguil when working with a snapshot and have not found a fix yet..
> >
> > Yes. I installed in a Hyper-V machine.
>
> If sostat shows Sguil events, I would expect the Sguil client to show events.
>
> When you log into Sguil and it asks which networks to monitor are you
> clicking the "Select All" button?
>

> --
> Doug Burks

After select all interfaces also ICMP logs not showing in sguil. PFA local.rules

local.rules

Wes

Jul 6, 2017, 9:01:11 AM7/6/17
to security-onion

Do you see these alerts in Squert or ELSA?

Thanks,
Wes