Wildcard for Autocat in Squert

Christian

Mar 5, 2021, 8:32:36 AM3/5/21
to security-onion
Hi,

how do I use a Wildcard in Squert for "Autocat"ing Alerts?

I tried every possible combination from TCL Regex, Normal RegEx, ... and can't find the right syntax.

Example: I want to escalate each Event with MALWARE and CnC in it to F9
%%REGEXP%%MALWARE*CnC doesn't work, , + * ... also don't work.

Is this even possible?

BR
Chris

Christian

Mar 9, 2021, 11:59:47 AM3/9/21
to security-onion
Hi Doug & Wes,

any Input on this Question?

Thanks & BR
Chris

Doug Burks

Mar 10, 2021, 5:23:33 PM3/10/21
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried a dot before the star like this?

%%REGEXP%%MALWARE.*CnC

You might also try using the Autocat Builder in the Sguil client.

Please keep in mind that Security Onion 16.04 reaches End Of Life next month.

--
Please keep in mind that Security Onion 16.04 reaches End Of Life soon!
https://blog.securityonion.net/2020/10/6-month-eol-notice-for-security-onion.html

Doug Burks
Founder and CEO
Security Onion Solutions, LLC

Christian

Mar 12, 2021, 4:30:21 AM3/12/21
to security-onion
Hi Doug,

yes I have tried it with .* and also with .+ but nothings seems to work.
OK thank you - i will try the Autocat Builder in Sguil.

BR
Chris

Christian

Mar 15, 2021, 11:26:52 AM3/15/21
to security-onion
Hi Doug,

the SGUIL Autocat also only refers to TCL Regex, but nothing from TCL Regex seems to work correctly.
Any other Ideas, how we can use Wildcards?

BR
Chris

Steven Malm

Mar 15, 2021, 10:12:28 PM3/15/21