Accesați primul mesaj necitit

Joseph

necitită,
9 aug. 2018, 11:48:1009.08.2018
– security-onion
I haven't logged into SO for a few days. It was all working perfect. Today I ran sudo service nsm status on both the server / sensor. Both 'Failed to restart nsm.service: Unit nsm.service not found.'

I also receive:
nsm.service
Loaded: not-found (reason: no such file or directory)
Active: inactive (dead)

I can't understand how these directories and services had such a big failure. The system has just been running / collecting for a week. There's been no interruption to my knowledge, but maybe that's incorrect. It looks like my only option is a full reinstallation.

Steven J

necitită,
9 aug. 2018, 11:57:2709.08.2018
– securit...@googlegroups.com
Presuming you've updated, instead of sudo service nsm status try sudo so-status.

Steven Malm
Roc-Analyst I
Lyrical Security
174 Spadina Ave, Suite 400, Toronto, ON, Canada - M5T 2C2

--
Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/securityonion

Joseph

necitită,
9 aug. 2018, 11:59:3809.08.2018
– security-onion
I see that 5 days ago /var/log/nsm/pcap_agent.log.xxxx started failing to connect to the master on port 7736.

Steven J

necitită,
9 aug. 2018, 12:01:4409.08.2018
– securit...@googlegroups.com
When you run sudo so-status, is the netsniff_ng service still running?

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 11:59 AM, Joseph <jc5...@gmail.com> wrote:
I see that 5 days ago /var/log/nsm/pcap_agent.log.xxxx started failing to connect to the master on port 7736.

Joseph

necitită,
9 aug. 2018, 12:41:3809.08.2018
– security-onion
so-status: everything is OK on mast/sens
netsniff-ng.service
Loaded: not-found (Rason: No such file or directory)
Active: inactive (dead)
-fails on both mast/sens

Joseph

necitită,
9 aug. 2018, 12:55:3409.08.2018
– security-onion
I looked at a log: /var/log/nsm/netsniff-sync.log , each day's entry is same.
The msg looks fine, but wanted to site it for this investigation:
Mon Jul UTC Time is 00:00, so skipping check for netsniff date since /etc/cron.d/sensor-newday should be restarting it anyway.

Joseph

necitită,
9 aug. 2018, 13:34:1709.08.2018
– security-onion
/var/log/error shows pam_kwallet.so /lib/security/pam_kwallet.so: no such file or directory
/var/log/syslog looks ok.
netstat: ssh is established with master, port 4506 4505 time wait
ping ok

Steven J

necitită,
9 aug. 2018, 13:58:0809.08.2018
– securit...@googlegroups.com
https://github.com/Security-Onion-Solutions/security-onion/wiki/Help

Are you able to manually restart the netsniff_ng service?
sudo nsm_sensor_ps-restart --only-pcap

Steven Malm
Roc-Analyst I
Lyrical Security
174 Spadina Ave, Suite 400, Toronto, ON, Canada - M5T 2C2

Joseph

necitită,
9 aug. 2018, 14:03:5509.08.2018
– security-onion
Yes I can. i can't start nsm.service , not found. i didn't see it in its directory. i guess this is just trashed and i'll have to reinstall. idk how this would be missing though.

Joseph

necitită,
9 aug. 2018, 14:05:2509.08.2018
– security-onion
I could 'del nsm all'
and then rerun config.

Wes Lambert

necitită,
9 aug. 2018, 14:05:2709.08.2018
– securit...@googlegroups.com
Joseph,

The NSM service is not configured for newer installs.

You'll want to keep in mind, we created wrapper scripts for many commands, such as so-status (to view status of all services).

Please try the following:

sudo so-status

Also see:

Thanks,
Wes

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 1:34 PM, Joseph <jc5...@gmail.com> wrote:
/var/log/error shows pam_kwallet.so /lib/security/pam_kwallet.so: no such file or directory
/var/log/syslog looks ok.
netstat: ssh is established with master, port 4506 4505 time wait
ping ok

--
Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/securityonion
---

Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/securityonion
---

Wes Lambert

necitită,
9 aug. 2018, 14:06:1809.08.2018
– securit...@googlegroups.com
You can, however, still use the old nsm_server and nsm_sensor scripts (or sudo so-sensor-start|etc or so-sguild-start|etc)

Thanks,
Wes

Joseph

necitită,
15 aug. 2018, 11:07:0115.08.2018
– security-onion
Can I recompile the nsm service files? I did nsm_del_all. and reran set up. i have the same problem with:
nsm.service
Loaded: file or directory not found
Active: inactive (dead)

This is confusing because the system was perfect, i was away for a week, and came back. I'm not sure what could have happened, but don't want to get the client to plug in the media so I can reinstall the OS. any thoughts?

Wes Lambert

necitită,
16 aug. 2018, 07:55:1316.08.2018
– securit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joseph,

At this point I would recommend re-installing from the ISO to start from a clean slate.

Thanks,
Wes

--
Follow Security Onion on Twitter!