How to exclude IP After enabling all default Snort Rules

Yang Jae

Jun 24, 2015, 10:35:39 PM6/24/15
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Today I helped for IDS from Enabling all default Snort Rules post.

sudo vi /etc/nsm/pulledpork/enablesid.conf
add in the file => pcre:alert
sudo /usr/bin/rule-update
sudo service nsm restart

so snorby is more active than before.

Thanks

Anyway, I have a question.

How can I exclude our IP for snorby no alret for company IP?

Please help in detail.

Thanks

Doug Burks

Jun 24, 2015, 10:44:59 PM6/24/15
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yang,

Replies inline.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 10:32 PM, Yang Jae <rem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Today I helped for IDS from Enabling all default Snort Rules post.
>
> sudo vi /etc/nsm/pulledpork/enablesid.conf
> add in the file => pcre:alert
> sudo /usr/bin/rule-update
> sudo service nsm restart
>
> so snorby is more active than before.
>
> Thanks

You really don't want to do this long-term. The post where I
mentioned that was specifically related to enabling snort rules
temporarily. Long-term you should only run the rules necessary for
your environment.

> Anyway, I have a question.
>
> How can I exclude our IP for snorby no alret for company IP?

Have you considered using a BPF?
https://github.com/Security-Onion-Solutions/security-onion/wiki/BPF

--
Doug Burks
Need Security Onion Training or Commercial Support?

Yang Jae

Jun 25, 2015, 7:12:35 AM6/25/15
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your quick replying

You really don't want to do this long-term. The post where I
mentioned that was specifically related to enabling snort rules
temporarily. Long-term you should only run the rules necessary for
your environment.

=> I do not know how to do your guilde line. If possible, please write in detail.
=> I tried to follow

I edited /etc/nsm/eth1/bpf-ids.conf and added like that

!(host IP Address1) &&
!(host IP Address2) &&

and after nsm restared,

netsniff-ng, prads are failed to start.

Is it normal after setting?

Please check sostat files.

Thanks

sostat-redacted.txt

Heine Lysemose

Jun 25, 2015, 7:32:05 AM6/25/15
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Did you break the symbolic links?
You need to remove the last && from the line or it will expect another line

Regards,
Lysemose

Doug Burks

Jun 25, 2015, 7:33:05 AM6/25/15
On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 12:00 AM, Yang Jae <rem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your quick replying
>
> You really don't want to do this long-term. The post where I
> mentioned that was specifically related to enabling snort rules
> temporarily. Long-term you should only run the rules necessary for
> your environment.
>
> => I do not know how to do your guilde line. If possible, please write in detail.

Please see:
https://github.com/Security-Onion-Solutions/security-onion/wiki/ManagingAlerts

Yang Jae Lee

Jun 25, 2015, 8:23:06 PM6/25/15
to securit...@googlegroups.com
2015년 6월 25일 목요일 오후 8시 32분 5초 UTC+9, Lysemose 님의 말:
Thanks for your reply.

I forgot to do the setting

cd /etc/nsm/$HOSTNAME-$INTERFACE/
# Remove the default Snort BPF symlink
sudo rm bpf-ids.conf
# Create a new Snort BPF file and add your custom BPF
sudo vi bpf-ids.conf
# Restart Snort
sudo nsm_sensor_ps-restart --only-snort-alert

and it works after like that.

!(host IP Address1) &&
!(host IP Address2)

Thank you, Lysemose.

Thanks Doug Burks

I will refer to check alerts of others in SO.

https://github.com/Security-Onion-Solutions/security-onion/wiki/ManagingAlerts