Great Frustrations build up within the Catholic Leadership

Secular Sri Lanka Library

Jun 22, 2011, 12:46:33 PM6/22/11
to Secular Sri Lanka Discussions

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=10562

This article comes from a popular Catholic website. It's interesting
(and very exciting) to see how Catholic leadership envision
secularization and rationalism as the greatest threats, how this world-
view has become the 'top enemy' of this once dominant but declining
institution - Catholic Church of Europe. This speech by Pope is great
news indeed for the Secularists of the entire world! The present
'enemy' current Pope Benedict XVI wants to battle is not protestantism
or Islam, but the ever stronger Secularism in Europe and the rest of
the world.

Once absorbed into a secular Europe, its secular political
infrastructure, Law and ethics of secular EU, one may wonder if this
new family member, Croatia, can continue pumping religion into EU as
Pope wants her to do in the decades ahead... Would Croatia "combat the
forces of secularization and rationalism that undermine European
unity" as Pope dreams, or would she set aside those old values of the
Old Continent, "values that underpin social living and the identity of
the Old Continent" to absorb the greater benefits, human rights and
individual freedom for her citizens from the larger family of
secularists?

Current trend in the democratic world is definitely not in favor of
Pope...

News
In Croatia, Pope warns: Europe without faith will collapse
RSS Facebook June 06, 2011

During a weekend visit to Croatia on June 4-5, Pope Benedict XVI
repeatedly emphasized the Christian roots of European civilization,
suggesting that Croatian entry into the European Union might help to
combat the forces of secularization and rationalism that undermine
European unity.

Pope Benedict also issued a resounding call for defense of family
life, at a Mass celebrated for the National Day of Croatian Catholic
Families. (See today’s separate CWN headline story.)

Arriving in Zagreb on Saturday, June 4, the Holy Father was welcomed
by Croatian President Ivo Josipovic and by Cardinal Josip Bozanic of
Zagreb and Archbishop Marin Srakic, the president of the Croatian
bishops' conference. At the airport welcoming ceremony, the Pope
immediately addressed the question of Croatia’s role in preserving the
European identity. "From its earliest days your nation has formed part
of Europe, and has contributed, in its unique way, to the spiritual
and moral values that for centuries have shaped the daily lives and
the personal and national identity of Europe's sons and daughters,”
the Pope said. “In the face of the challenges posed by today's
culture--marked as it is by social differentiation and instability,
and by an individualism that gives rise to a vision of life without
obligations and a constant search for 'private space'--there is a need
for convinced witness and active dynamism aimed at promoting the
fundamental moral values that underpin social living and the identity
of the Old Continent.”

The Pontiff went on to voice his hope that Croatia would “help to
steer the European Union toward a fuller appreciation of those
spiritual and cultural treasures” that rise from Europe’s Christian
heritage.

Later, in a meeting with Croatian civic and cultural leaders, the Pope
returned to the question of European secularization, using strong
language to warn that the attempt to make an absolute separation
between religious and political affairs is a danger to Europe’s
future. “If, in keeping with the prevailing modern idea, conscience is
reduced to the subjective field to which religion and morality have
been banished, then the crisis of the West has no remedy and Europe is
destined to collapse in on itself,” the Pope warned.

Again, during a prayer vigil with young people, the Pope spoke about
the importance of recognizing spiritual matters, noiting that “all too
often we realize that we put our trust in things that cannot fulfil”
our true desires. “At such moments we recognize our need for something
greater, capable of giving meaning to our daily lives,” he said.

Source(s): these links will take you to other sites, in a new window.