It is hopeless

Fatalist

Jun 18, 2011, 9:22:12 AM6/18/11
to Secular Sri Lanka Discussions
The current parliament is full of thugs and murders of which the
people elected. They neither deserve or will get a secular democratic
parliament.
So why bother knowing it is hopeless.

bkthambugala

Jun 27, 2011, 3:48:16 PM6/27/11
to Secular Sri Lanka Discussions
I'm sorry, but situation is NOT hopeless.. If the intention of
secularists were achieving a total secularization of society within a
matter of few months, and doing it one way or the other, well yes
situation IS hopeless.. It only has to be, and such a radical change
is neither desirable nor beneficial.. It's true that vast majority
(including I) share the belief that individual members in Sri Lankan
parliament are of suboptimal standards (even though they elect those
members anyway).. But it does NOT imply that secularists should simply
call it a day and look the other way, while the society and nation are
moving towards a direction unfavorable to them.. Secular cause is
active in almost all nations (even in Iran & Afghanistan) but to
largely varying degrees. In a society with little or no secular
sentiment among public, secularists may seek through their activities
a mere REPRESENTATION, (kinda announcement to the society of their
mere existence), which is of course moving towards positive direction,
no matter how little.. But i personally do NOT think secularism is in
such a dire state in this country.. Even though masses are unaware of
exact terms of secular movement (or mostly unaware of their
existence), a significant portion of population (though not the
majority), effectively share most of the secular sentiment.. For
instance even individuals with deep rooted religious believes are
known to me who suggest that the government policy should be
secularism or religious non-interventionism.. and this sentiment is
far more evident among folks who are critical of established
religion(s) and their power (who may or may not believe respective
religions personally).. although i'm not closely acquainted with
members of clergy or parliament, secularists in those fractions of
society (which are deemed corrupt by most secular and non-religious
people) are far more likely to exist than one would imagine.. What we
actually lack is a coordinated movement to bring the matter into wide
discussion and i was nothing but really happy when i first encountered
this movement about an year ago.. It's true that the caliber of this
movement is limited and its messages seldom go to masses and to policy-
makers, but that just emphasizes the need of more effort, and NOT the
(alleged) hopelessness..

Prasad Mapatuna

Jun 27, 2011, 11:41:18 PM6/27/11
to secular-sri-la...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for that reply bkthambugala. I was composing a similar response but you said it all and no need for me to say anything further.
Regards
-Prasad