3D Printing- Resin?

Dan ''Spiffy'' Neuman

Sep 19, 2022, 6:55:43 PM9/19/22
to Sector67 Public
I need some small plastic parts for vintage ceiling fans and light fixtures (non structural, non heat exposed) reproduced.

I've been using a friend with a filament printer, but I learned that a resin printer would get better results.

Does anyone here have a resin printer they would be willing to try a few small jobs?  I am willing to pay.  The parts would be 6" at the largest, most are smaller.

Thank you!

Jonathan Dayton

Sep 19, 2022, 9:27:47 PM9/19/22
to sect...@googlegroups.com
I have an Elegoo Mars. The only resin I have on hand is this stuff. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07FCLLNFY

What are the parts you need? If they'll be visible & need to be a certain color or material, it might be more cost-effective to order a print online from someone who has the right stuff in stock.

Dan ''Spiffy'' Neuman

Sep 19, 2022, 9:39:26 PM9/19/22
to sect...@googlegroups.com, jonathan...@gmail.com
Various small parts-- switch covers, canopies, sort of thing.  Pretty much all would be white (or offwhite) or brown.  Not too picky about the shade.

More than happy to buy the supplies if you have the right equipment, however if you know of a way to order prints online, or someone locally, I am all ears.  So far I've been dead-ending.

Dan "Spiffy" Neuman - organ, guitar, and ceiling fans

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Sector67 Public" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sector67/CAGhzP-L_NGyOV6rNw8eXcLRaEiCpk_sCCSpV4ia1KuNdmFXv0g%40mail.gmail.com.

Alec Marshall

Sep 19, 2022, 11:51:17 PM9/19/22
to sect...@googlegroups.com
I've got access to the UW makerspace and could run some parts off for you on the formlabs 3s they've got there, as long as you have the STLs.
If you download PreForm and use the auto-slicer for that style of printer with the parts you've got, you should be able to verify how much material will be used and then I can give you an estimate of cost (IIRC it's $0.37/ml). They've only got white, gray, and black as far as I know.

Let me know if you're interested!

Alec

Dan ''Spiffy'' Neuman

Sep 20, 2022, 12:41:23 AM9/20/22
to sect...@googlegroups.com, novertr...@gmail.com
Definitely interested, but I do not have STLs.

Dan "Spiffy" Neuman - organ, guitar, and ceiling fans

Alec Marshall

Sep 20, 2022, 1:45:45 AM9/20/22
to dsp...@gmail.com, sect...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, they're pretty easy to generate from whatever CAD or 3D scanning software you might be using to replicate the parts with. That's step 1 for any 3D printing process :)

Once you've got those, it should be quite easy to make some cost/time estimates.

Alec

Dan ''Spiffy'' Neuman

Sep 20, 2022, 1:45:52 AM9/20/22
to Alec Marshall, sect...@googlegroups.com
I dont have anything myself.  The guy who was doing the filament printing for me was also doing the scanning.  I would need to hire someone to scan and print.

Dan "Spiffy" Neuman - organ, guitar, and ceiling fans