You are invited to "Senior Design Project Demo Days" this week, Friday and Saturday, 11am-2pm CDT

Shira E

Apr 26, 2021, 5:52:35 PM4/26/21
to sect...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

Curious what I have been up to recently? Want to see some cool project demos by students? Come to the virtual event Senior Design Project Demo Days at UMass Amherst. (I work with these students as a course coordinator for the year-long course 'Senior Design Project').

The event will take place
• Friday, 30 April 2021
• Saturday, 1 May 2021
On both days the time frame is 11am-2pm CDT (12-3pm EDT)

There are 31 teams (each will have their own breakout room which you may visit if you wish). You can visit team websites now: http://www.ecs.umass.edu/sdp/sdp21/teams.html.

Come see the demos and vote for best projects! I'll be in the main Zoom Room during most of the event to greet guests (come say hi!), and otherwise I will be in the Breakout Rooms visiting the demos myself.

Event registration is requested but not required. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/umass-amherst-sdp21-demo-days-tickets-149093074399
Feel free to forward this info to anyone who you think might be interested.

See you there!!!
Cheers,
-Shira

Chris Meyer

Apr 30, 2021, 1:47:23 PM4/30/21
to sector67
Shira's students have some very cool demos you can check out today or tomorrow via Zoom :-)

Chris

Chris Meyer

May 1, 2021, 11:04:51 AM5/1/21
to sector67
I definitely didn't see all of them, but I would strongly recommend you check out:
team 4 who has automated guitar amplifier knobs to give crazy effects (tube amp)
team 10 who made a magic chess board using an XY gantry and electromagnets to enable a person to play with someone remote on a real board
team 3 who's running a live RC car soccer game playable through your browser

Starts again at 11AM today (below)

Chris

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 4:52 PM Shira E <shir...@gmail.com> wrote:

Davi P

May 1, 2021, 8:32:20 PM5/1/21
to Sector67 group
Thanks Shira (and Chris)! I visited several of the projects' breakout rooms. I liked the ones Chris mentioned too. Had fun driving the RC car from my browser. Looks like you've got a great engineering program there!

--Davi

Tim Fahlberg

May 2, 2021, 2:53:01 PM5/2/21
to sect...@googlegroups.com
Shira: Wow - you and your students were clearly quite busy and creative! I didn't get to come to the demo/zoom but I really enjoyed checking out many of the students' projects which revealed a lot of teamwork and a myriad of skills! Must've kept you busy too I suspect!

Chris: Thanks for pointing out particular projects.

Everyone:  If nothing else watch the 36 second YouTube video for the Magichess Quick Demo. Make sure to watch it to the end. It's a great example of the fun I suspect students must've had as part of all of many hours they invested!

Tim

James Widder

May 2, 2021, 7:07:35 PM5/2/21
to sect...@googlegroups.com