Retrieve data from secret file.

Marco

Sep 15, 2010, 12:58:42 AM9/15/10
to secrets-for-android
The thing is that I did a reflash of my Samsung i7500 not so long ago.
Before that I made a quick backup of everything but did not do an
export of the secrets I had.

The only thing I managed to make a backup of was the secret file that
was in the root of my phone (when mounting them as drives).
Is there any way of restoring the data I had (I have the passphrase)?

I tried to replace the secret file but it didn't work.

Regards,
Marco

Roger Tawa

Sep 15, 2010, 9:30:48 AM9/15/10
to secrets-for-android
Hi Marco,

When you say "I made a quick backup", do you mean you used the Backup
menu item from within secrets? If so, this is the right approach for
your scenario. The backup file is called 'secrets' and exists in the
root directory of your SD card. reflashing your device should not
format or affect the SD card in any way, but I don't have access to an
i7500 so can't say for sure about this device. (It might be safer to
remove the SD card before reflashing just in case.)

After re-installing secrets, you must choose the EXACT SAME MASTER
PASSWORD as before. Then choose the menu item Restore. Assuming the
backup file is still in the root directory of the SD card, all your
secrets should be restored.

Let me know if you need more info.

Marco Muuri

Sep 17, 2010, 1:33:32 AM9/17/10
to secrets-f...@googlegroups.com
Hello.

At the time I made the reflash I only took the secrets file that resided on the phone memory.
I had earlier tried to backup the file but it failed with no obvious message, I believe it was because the memory card was accessible from the PC (mounted as Mass storage device).

When a made the "quick backup" I picked files that looked important from the phones internal memory (including a file in the root named secrets), hat is the file I would like to be able to open up again.

I am not sure if the file is something old or new but if it is old and I can't access it I don't care, if it is the latest I would be really happy if I could open it again.

I will uninstall secrets again and try to repeat the process you have described.

Regards,
Marco

Marco

Sep 17, 2010, 1:38:20 AM9/17/10
to secrets-for-android
Hi alla.

I got this working and imported the secrets.
My guess is that I did the same mistake when trying to import the file
as I did when I tried to import the scret file.
I had it mounted in mass storage mode.

Now the phone is just attached to the USB cable and I was able to
import the file as expected, I am not sure how the file ended up on
the phones internal memory though.

/Marco
> > secrets-for-and...@googlegroups.com<secrets-for-android%2Bunsu bsc...@googlegroups.com>
> > .

Roger Tawa ▌♠▐

Sep 17, 2010, 8:38:12 AM9/17/10
to secrets-f...@googlegroups.com

I'm glad all is resolved.  Let me know if you have other questions.