Keeping Track of Clicks ... collecting statistics about visitors #SLCF09

Chris Smith

Oct 17, 2009, 12:06:19 AM10/17/09
to second-life-...@googlegroups.com
Boys and Girls

I've been asked about tracking visitors and clicks to the Fair starting next
weekend ... with exhibits allowed up until 13th November
... which has prompted this email.

I suspect you might already have something in place ... so I'll just throw
the following into the pot for your interest.

Tracking Visitors to International Schools Island
-----------------------------------
I have scripts set up at key locations which record avatars that visit those
locations and records how long they stayed there.

Included in those locations are

*SLCF09 Presentation area
http://slurl.com/secondlife/International%20Schools%202/101/156/55
http://bit.ly/SLCF09presentations
*SLCF09 Welcome Area
http://slurl.com/secondlife/International%20Schools%202/89/15/21
http://bit.ly/SLCF09welcome
*the main isi welcome area in between the Towers
http://slurl.com/secondlife/International%20Schools/64/90/24

I could put scripts out at individual display Booths .... but have no plans
to do that .... just too time consuming (sorry guys and gals) ... plus you
may already have put out your own visitor counters (see suggestion below
for option)

I will make available the statistics from the above on one of the Google
Group pages after the Fair.

URL Shorteners to Gather Statistics
---------------------------
You will have noticed that with many of the URLs I distribute I have made
them shorter user a 'url shortener' service/website.
This is not just to make them easier to remember but also allows me to track
statistics. (free & without techi knowledge)

For example .... the URL of this College Fair Google group is
http://groups.google.com/group/second-life-college-fair but I went to
http://bit.ly and shortened it (free) to http://bit.ly/SLCF09 (yes they
can be customised ... just see the bit.ly webpage)

Now if you go to http://bit.ly/info/SLCF09 ... (note the 'info' I added to
the url) you'll see the statistics for this URL .... in fact the url has
been clicked 1,700 times ... WOW ... that's impressive already!.

Other statistics available on the page ... e.g. United States 1,373; Canada
128; United Kingdom 36 ... just have a browse around it

So if you are giving out URLs to your College/University website at your
booth then an option if for you to first convert them to bit.ly shorter ones
... could even be customised to identify it is just as from your booth at
this fair ... and after that you can gather your own statistics .... low
tech ... easy to do.

There are other url shortener services ... the reason I use bit.ly (even
though there are others that do the same job) .... is that bit.ly is the
service used by Twitter and so should be around for a long time.

Others
---------
If you have other solutions and strategies you use then please send an email
to our Google Group second-life-...@googlegroups.com and share with
others.

Hope this is helpful.

Chris

Shambles listed in top ten websites by (UK)
Teachers TV http://www.teachers.tv/video/4946

Second Life: Shamblesguru Voom
Twitter: shamblesguru Skype: cthsmith
ePortfolio www.shambles.net/csmith
w-shops www.shambles.net/csmith/workshops
Chris Smith : email: csm...@csmith.info
Personal Learning Network: www.shambles.net/csmith/pln
YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/shamblesguru
Based in Thailand, working across S.E.Asia
The Education Project Asia www.shambles.net
Support for ICT across the Curriculum (consultancy)
'It's out there somewhere, the trick is finding it'
International Schools Island in Second Life
Indexing S.L. for Educators in S.L. itself
SLURL http://tinyurl.com/2o44dw