College Fair, fall 2009

Alice

Sep 9, 2009, 8:37:47 AM9/9/09
to Second Life College Fair
Hi everyone - In case you have forgotten, this Google Group was
established after the College Fair held on Info Island last fall. We
hoped to use this group to plan for future college fair events.

As I'm sure you all remember, we were somewhat a victim of our own
success last time and lag was a big problem for us. So finding a
larger venue would be an important prerequisite for doing another main
grid college fair. Shamblesguru Voom from International Schools
Island has approached us about hosting a fair there this fall. In
addition to the main ISI island, there is a lightly populated second
island and a homestead space we'd be able to use, which I think should
accommodate an event of this size. So a big thank-you to Shamblesguru
and ISI! Alliance Virtual Library will also be involved again as co-
sponsor. (So thanks also to Abbey Zenith!)

We would like to use this Google group for planning. The report from
last year is available as a file in the group web site. (If anyone
has questions about how to get to that document, please let me know.)
There's no reason the fair has to be run as it was last time. So
let's talk about ideas for making improvements. We should also talk
about nailing down a date fairly soon.

If you're not interested in participating in event planning but you're
still interested in being a representative at the fair, this is still
the group for you! I think we will end up using this group later as a
way to communicate with college reps participating in the fair. But
if you know of anyone else who might be interested in the planning
aspect, please feel free to recruit them! The more input at this
point the better. Thanks -Alice Burgess (SL) / Beth Kraemer (RL)

Ellie Brewster .

Sep 11, 2009, 1:20:05 PM9/11/09
to Second Life College Fair
Hi Beth,

I'd love to participate again this year.

Has anyone given any thought to continuing education? I'm thinking of
all those folks in SL who might be interested in taking a course or
two. Courses like mine, which is completely online, might be just the
thing.

It might make sense to have a notice board, or a separate area, where
each school can put out information on continuing education. If the
group thinks this is a good idea, I can approach my own continuing
education dept. and ask them for a little help. Who knows? Never
hurts to ask.

Sharon

Anthony Curtis

Sep 11, 2009, 4:50:19 PM9/11/09
to second-life-...@googlegroups.com, ellieb...@gmail.com
Sharon

That's a good suggestion. I will be teaching the course "History of American Journalism" fully online in the coming spring semester. How can I help out with your continuing education suggestion?

--Tony
________________________________
Anthony R. Curtis, Ph.D.
Chair, Faculty Senate
Professor, Department of Mass Communications

247 Old Main
University of North Carolina at Pembroke
Pembroke, NC 28372
Phone: 910-521-6616
Dept.: 910-522-5723
Fax: 910-522-5795
Email: acu...@uncp.edu

Websites:
Faculty: http://www.uncp.edu/home/acurtis
Space: http://www.spacetoday.org
Second Edition blog: http://secondedition.wordpress.com/
SL Wiki: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Stone_Semyorka
UNCP in SL: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Dotoorak/221/169/65
Stone's Point Park: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Dotbyeul/138/121/60

Sep 11, 2009, 9:30:41 PM9/11/09
to second-life-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone
Hong Kong PolyU would like to attend again ... keep us posted

Thanks
Paul

Paul Penfold
Educational Development Manager
School of Hotel & Tourism Management
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
(852) 2766-4092 Skype: paulpenfold
Chair - SLACTIONS 2009 (Hong Kong)
Blog: http://penkyamp.blogspot.com
Wiki: http://shtmteacherswiki.pbwiki.com
- The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands, but in seeing with new eyes. - Marcel Proust

>>> Anthony Curtis <Tony....@uncp.edu> 9/12/2009 4:50 AM >>>

Anthony Curtis

Sep 12, 2009, 4:32:09 PM9/12/09
to second-life-...@googlegroups.com, ellieb...@gmail.com
Ellie,

It seems like it would be good to have an event something similar to our SL College Fair to make all of our higher education online courses taught in Second Life known to folks across SL. I can imagine fair booths where info could be displayed about one course or even a line-up of courses for a given semester or school year. Coupled with this, it would not be hard here at my school to set up some sort of online-course promotional center on our SL campus.

The fair also could have conference sessions where educators involved in delivering courses online in SL could share techniques and best practices info.

--Tony
________________________________
Anthony R. Curtis, Ph.D.
Chair, Faculty Senate
Professor, Department of Mass Communications
University of North Carolina at Pembroke
Pembroke, NC 28372

Office: 247 Old Main
Email: acu...@uncp.edu
Sep 12, 2009, 7:18:40 PM9/12/09
to second-life-...@googlegroups.com, ellieb...@gmail.com
I think this is an excellent idea for the college fair itself!

Rhonda/Abbey
--
Rhonda
SL: Abbey Zenith

Anthony Curtis

Sep 12, 2009, 11:39:43 PM9/12/09
to second-life-...@googlegroups.com, ellieb...@gmail.com, abbe...@gmail.com
I will be glad to help with this additional part of the project.
--Tony

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Anthony Curtis <Tony....@uncp.edu<mailto:Tony....@uncp.edu>> wrote:

[...]

Email: acu...@uncp.edu<mailto:acu...@uncp.edu>
Phone: (910) 521-6616
Dept office: (910) 522-5723
Dept fax: (910) 522-5795

Websites:

S Collingwood

Sep 13, 2009, 11:41:44 AM9/13/09
to second-life-...@googlegroups.com
I've been working on a wiki for the women's community, and we have a page on education.  It's not much, just two courses.

We link the wiki to kiosks in-world, and it has been well received. Perhaps an informational wiki like this one is what we need?

I've thrown up a sketchy one here, just for an idea -

I use wetpaint a lot, it's free and easy to use, but some people might be put off by the ads.  I've restricted it so only invited members can post.  I'll send out invitations to Beth, Abbey and Tony and anyone else who is interested.

But it's just an idea, I can take it down if this isn't appropriate.

Let me know

S.

I think this is an excellent idea for the college fair itself!

Rhonda/Abbey

--
Dr. Sharon Collingwood

Department of Women's Studies
Ohio State University
286 University Hall
230 North Oval Mall
Columbus, Ohio 43210-1311

Second Life:  Ellie Brewster
Visit Minerva Isle in Second Life http://slurl.com/secondlife/Minerva/16/14/22/

Kraemer, Beth

Sep 14, 2009, 8:02:00 AM9/14/09
to second-life-...@googlegroups.com
Hi - Sorry for my delayed response. I was offline for a long (but not long enough!) weekend.

I also think the idea of focusing on continuing ed is a good one for this College Fair event. Users attending the MG fair are (or should be) 18 and over. So there is a bit of a mis-match in audience as compared to a traditional college fair, where the focus would be high school students 18 and younger. I'm not suggesting we should limit the fair to continuing ed only, but encouraging participation by schools with continuing ed programs in SL would be a nice idea. One complaint last year was that there were few students who attended. Maybe this kind of focus would get more students.

I do think we need to set a date soon and then maybe, in addition to a general call for participating schools, we can also approach specifically schools with continuing ed programs and maybe professional programs/grad programs, etc. October is traditional college fair time. If we look at late in the month or maybe early Nov that might work. Last time we did this on a Saturday. Does that still make sense, rather than a weekday? -Beth

Sep 14, 2009, 8:04:37 AM9/14/09
to second-life-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Sharon! I've signed up. I do think this is a good idea! -Beth/Alice

Sep 14, 2009, 8:46:31 AM9/14/09
to second-life-...@googlegroups.com, kra...@email.uky.edu
How about Saturday-Sunday Oct. 24-25?

I suggest two days with the main activities on Saturday and stuff still available on the site on Sunday since it's a bit of work to set up and a second day would be nice for stragglers to walk around and look.

--Tony

Sep 14, 2009, 11:55:30 AM9/14/09
to second-life-...@googlegroups.com
What we did last time is have 1 day for main activities (speakers and representatives) and then the booths were left up for a week. The visitor stats showed that people did come to the site during that week, so if the space is available for that long I think it would be nice to do that again!

I actually can't do the 24th but I could do the 25th. Does a Sunday work as well as a Saturday for the primary event? (Turns out I was wrong about last year - it actually was on a Sunday.) Abbey & Shambles: Does Sunday, 10/25 work for Alliance Virtual Library and for the International Schools Island location? -Beth

Sep 14, 2009, 12:20:54 PM9/14/09
to second-life-...@googlegroups.com
It was definitely on a Sunday, cause I had to rush home from church to get there!  :-)

Robby Dittmann / Robby Kowalski
Enrollment Counselor
Division of Online Learning
Darton College
229.317.6815
1.877.522.2231

This email is intended only for its recipient(s) and may contain information subject to F.E.R.P.A. regulation.

From: "Kraemer, Beth" <kra...@email.uky.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 11:55:30 -0400

Anthony Curtis

Sep 14, 2009, 2:02:37 PM9/14/09
to second-life-...@googlegroups.com, kra...@email.uky.edu
Beth,

Sunday is okay for me and I like that week-long idea.

--Tony

Sep 17, 2009, 6:50:23 AM9/17/09
to second-life-...@googlegroups.com, kra...@email.uky.edu
Afraid I wont be able to do the weekend of 24th 25th October at all
(I'll be spending much of the sunday in transit - flying from San Jose
back to Scotland).

~Can try and place a fixed booth though.

daniel

--
http://learninggames.wordpress.com

The University of the West of Scotland is a registered Scottish
charity. Charity number SC002520.

Sherri Restauri Carson

Sep 18, 2009, 2:46:31 PM9/18/09
to second-life-...@googlegroups.com
Beth,

Sunday was a great time; will we still be allowed to set up early the day before?  I will be representing a new university this year and will be starting from scratch with our booth. Do we have new resources/information for creating the booths this year?

Thanks!

Sherri Restauri Carson

--
Sherri

Fox, Stacey

Sep 18, 2009, 4:07:09 PM9/18/09
to second-life-...@googlegroups.com

Beth!
KU Art would love to be part of the college fair again
Best,
Stacey Fox

ren...@ku.edu