RE: Listing distance education courses that use Second Life and the fall 2009 College Fair

Anthony Curtis

Sep 13, 2009, 2:12:30 PM9/13/09
to second-life-...@googlegroups.com, collin...@osu.edu, Maryanne N. Maisano
Sharon,

That's a good beginning. I also use Wetpaint and orient my students to it for their projects. People are familiar today with ads on Google and other pages, so that shouldn't be a problem.

In answer to the question you posed on the wiki, I would say yes, listings for this project should be restricted to for-credit courses and not workshops, free-university kinds of offerings, etc. Possibly, if there were demand, a companion wiki could be developed for non-credit courses and activities.

I imagine a for-credit listing would be reminiscent of a catalog entry with course title, instructor, credit hours, course description (maximum three sentences), and whom to contact to enroll.

As one example or model, please see "The University of North Carolina Online" at http://online.northcarolina.edu/. It offers descriptions, admissions and cost information for online programs offered by the 16 universities in the University of North Carolina System.

As to your suggestion about videos, they would be a valuable addition and I know there are those among us who are excellent creators of machinima.

--Tony
________________________________
Anthony R. Curtis, Ph.D.
Chair, Faculty Senate
Professor, Department of Mass Communications
University of North Carolina at Pembroke
Pembroke, NC 28372

Office: 247 Old Main
Email: acu...@uncp.edu
Phone: (910) 521-6616