Mobile carts and floppy disk storage solutions

Les Bird

Nov 6, 2021, 6:16:49 PMNov 6
to SEBHC
Hi all,

Thought I'd share some of my solutions for mobile hardware carts and floppy disk storage.

A lot of my hardware sits on mobile carts. The carts have built-in power strip and are very strong (I think 200lbs per shelf). The best thing about these carts is they are completely mobile. If I want to move the entire group of hardware out of the way I just unplug the power strip and roll it away. Super convenient as I shift things around a lot.

For the floppy storage I found some DVD and CD storage cases on Amazon (links on the page) which makes organizing and grouping the floppies easy. The DVD cases are great for 5.25 floppies and the CD cases are good for 3.5 floppies. The cases are strong and stackable.

Enjoy.

Les

Norby

Nov 6, 2021, 7:28:24 PMNov 6
to se...@googlegroups.com
Please send cart hardware link to order one as I need to organize my space.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 6, 2021, at 6:16 PM, Les Bird <lesb...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

Mark Garlanger

Nov 6, 2021, 7:50:54 PMNov 6
to se...@googlegroups.com
Nice setup Les!

Norberto, the link was below the photos on that page - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4FKG1R?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2021, 8:48:36 PMNov 6
to se...@googlegroups.com

Nice setup and some great suggestions. Thanks for sharing.

I don’t see one but I presume you use an RS-232 switch to share a single terminal with the three H8 systems?

The 8” heath floppy unit is their second generation 8” unit right? (Z207??)  not the 47 (that was bigger with vertical drives that were unreliable as I recall?)

Your notes say that there are two 3.5” drives mounted in an H19?  Is it really an H89?  Or are you just using that as a convenient case/power supply for the drives, which connect to one of the H8s?

Les Bird

Nov 7, 2021, 7:23:46 AMNov 7
to SEBHC
Glenn,

I do not have a serial port switch. I should get one though. For now I just plug in the H8 serial cable that I'm using at the time.

Yes, the 8" drives are the 207 drives. I bought them from Pestinger in 2010ish.

The H19 was an H89 that I stripped out the CPU board from, so used it to power the 3.5in drives which feed out to an HSFE and to any one of the H8s by swapping the cable on the HSFE. The drives are mounted using these 3.5in to 5.25in adapters I found on Amazon:

Les

Steven Hirsch

Nov 7, 2021, 8:43:24 AMNov 7
to se...@googlegroups.com
On 11/6/21 6:16 PM, Les Bird wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thought I'd share some of my solutions for mobile hardware carts and floppy
> disk storage.
>
> A lot of my hardware sits on mobile carts. The carts have built-in power
> strip and are very strong (I think 200lbs per shelf). The best thing about
> these carts is they are completely mobile. If I want to move the entire
> group of hardware out of the way I just unplug the power strip and roll it
> away. Super convenient as I shift things around a lot.

I wish my shop was wide enough to permit that. It's a repurposed utility room
that's very narrow and long. I already have benches down the length of the
outside wall, which leaves only about 5' of width.

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2021, 8:47:30 AMNov 7
to se...@googlegroups.com

I had an old 4-way serial switch but the mechanism that “clicked” it into each position was broken (plastic piece) so I ended up just tossing it and buying a new one.  Ironically at VCF there were a number for sale that I could have bought.  Useful to have.

Interesting approach to “downgrade” an ’89 back to a ’19 and use the extra power and space for two drives!

It sounds like you’re very much still using floppy drives and disks.  But your original re-engineering of the Z80 board included a GIDE interface.  Is that still how you do hard disk op’s?  still using a physical hard drive or one of the IDE-to CF/SD emulators?

Norby

Nov 7, 2021, 11:00:56 AMNov 7
to se...@googlegroups.com
I did send Les the z67-IDE+ controller with the SCSI controller + IDE controller + 33MHz oscillator to enable his H67 controller. The GIDE today can only boot CPM3 + custom CPM from Terry G.

Norby

Sent from my iPhone

Les Bird

Nov 7, 2021, 5:49:31 PMNov 7
to SEBHC
When I get time I'll get a IDE solution up and running thanks to Norby for the Z67-IDE+

I don't use the GIDE at all these days, especially since it is only supported by CP/M. I'm spending a lot of time with floppies lately trying to organize and archive them.

And about the H89, it had a bad CPU board in it and I needed an H19 so seemed like a logical solution.

Les