New H8 Backplane!

norberto.collado koyado.com

Apr 15, 2022, 2:20:30 AM4/15/22
to SEBHC List
I just finished the updates on the new H8 backplane with additional enhancements. I will order a few boards to test it out for peace of mind by next week after I get the boards from JLCPCB.

Thanks,
Norberto

Norberto Collado

Apr 15, 2022, 3:13:33 AM4/15/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

Also updated Website: http://koyado.com/heathkit/New-H8-Website/h8-backplane.html

Enhancements:

  1. Added power connector for the Z67-IDE+
  2. Added connector for the SSI board to measure backplane voltage (optional) as the SSI board can measure on board +8V. SSI +8V pot needs to be calibrated. I need to write this up.
  3. Added connector to power +5V fans
  4. Added connector to power 12V fans
  5. Changed backplane mounting holes to be oval, so that the backplane can be adjusted to have more clearance between the CPU and front panel to support better the DUAL module with the VDIP1 IC module installed.
  6. Grounded all mounting holes
  7. Moved LED power resistor to side two of the board
  8. Improved ground plane on both sides of the board
  9. Fix minor issues found on prototype board.
  10. I will order some boards by next week to test out changes.
  11. This backplane can handle 10 amps on the +8v rail per Heath specs and I tested at such current using 1 OZ copper. On the new board I will request 2 OZ copper. Also, I will increased board thickness.
    1. The current is limited to 10A by using a PTC and on the +18V/-18V at 1A with another PTC as well. This is to protect the backplane and boards from burning if there is a severe short. Please do not bypass such PTC circuit.

Thanks,

Norberto

Glenn Roberts

Apr 15, 2022, 5:43:52 AM4/15/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Norberto: you had sent me one of your previous prototypes of the backplane, which I built and showed at VCF East in October. It is in my Big Blue chassis. What additional changes were subsequently done to the board?

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 15, 2022, at 2:20 AM, norberto.collado koyado.com <norberto...@koyado.com> wrote:

Glenn Roberts

Apr 15, 2022, 6:54:33 AM4/15/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

Ah. Didn’t see this list of changes/enhancements (read other email first). Sorry for my previous note. great job!

  • Glenn
image001.png

Norberto Collado

Apr 15, 2022, 11:36:56 AM4/15/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

My bad! I forgot to send the changes on first email. 😊 It is going to be a great board with all the changes.