Next batch of H8 boards

norberto.collado koyado.com

Jan 28, 2023, 2:32:51 AM1/28/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

I ordered the latest batch of boards as shown below.

I’m not planning in building out the RAM boards (full size). So, I will need a volunteer to assembled them, test them out, and report if any pcb changes required. I will shipped them out for free. Out of 5-pcs, I will keep 2-pcs of each one.

For the Z180-1MB RAM board once tested, I will send them to Todd to sell along with the Z180-CPU board.

The Z67-IDE+, will be $8.00 + $6.00 for the SCSI controller + shipping. I added some last minute improvements.

Thanks,

Norberto

smb...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2023, 12:42:55 PM1/28/23
to SEBHC
Norberto, I'd be happy to build out the two full-size RAM boards and try them out if you still need volunteers. The only caveat is I haven't yet built the Z80 CPU board (I should have everything I need; just need to allocate the time, maybe this weekend).

Has the standalone H17 board made it from untested to tested status yet?

Scott

Lee Adamson

Jan 28, 2023, 5:45:33 PM1/28/23
to SEBHC
I too would be most happy to assemble whatever boards you want (although I'd certainly be partial to the z180), as long as you are ok with me posting a video of said assembly to YouTube and Odysee.

Lee Adamson

Jan 28, 2023, 5:46:08 PM1/28/23
to SEBHC

(That being said, my own H8 isn't quite up yet, but it's getting very close.)

norberto.collado koyado.com

Jan 28, 2023, 6:00:29 PM1/28/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

I will like to ship one memory board per person. Out of 10 boards, I’m keeping 4, so 6 are available to spare. I’m fine posting the assembly/POWER-ON in Youtube, etc…

3-pcs of 8080A 64KB boards

3-pcs of Z80/512KB boards

Lee Adamson – which board (8080 64K or Z80 512KB?)

Scott                – which board (8080 64K or Z80 512KB?)

Doug Renna   – (8080 64K)

TBD                  – which board (8080 64K or Z80 512KB)?

TBD                  – which board (8080 64K or Z80 512KB)?

TBD                  – which board (8080 64K or Z80 512KB)?

The new H17 assembly is slowly in progress…

Thanks,

Norberto

Steven Feinsmith

Jan 28, 2023, 6:04:26 PM1/28/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
I like to have one (1)  Z80/512KB board.

Thank you,
Steven

Scott Baker

Jan 28, 2023, 6:05:00 PM1/28/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
I'll take the 8080 one please. Thanks, Norberto.

Scott

norberto.collado koyado.com

Jan 28, 2023, 6:07:54 PM1/28/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

1-pcs of 8080A 64KB boards

2-pcs of Z80/512KB boards

Lee Adamson – which board (8080 64K or Z80 512KB?)

Scott                – (8080 64K)

Doug Renna   – (8080 64K)

Steven Feinsmith  – (Z80 512KB)

Lee Adamson

Jan 28, 2023, 7:04:37 PM1/28/23
to SEBHC
I'd like the Z80/512k please.

Thank you, sir.

norberto.collado koyado.com

Jan 28, 2023, 7:10:13 PM1/28/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

1-pcs of 8080A 64KB boards

1-pcs of Z80/512KB boards

Lee Adamson – (Z80 512KB)

Scott                – (8080 64K)

Doug Renna   – (8080 64K)

Steven Feinsmith  – (Z80 512KB)

TBD                  – ( Z80 512KB)?

TBD                  – (8080 64K )?

Mark Garlanger

Jan 28, 2023, 9:23:17 PM1/28/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
I'd be interested in the Z80/512k board.

Thanks,
  Mark

norberto.collado koyado.com

Jan 28, 2023, 11:59:00 PM1/28/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

1-pcs of 8080A 64KB boards

Lee Adamson – (Z80 512KB)

Scott                – (8080 64K)

Doug Renna   – (8080 64K)

Steven Feinsmith  – (Z80 512KB)

Mark Garlanger    – ( Z80 512KB)

TBD                  – (8080 64K )?

Tim Gilberts

Jan 29, 2023, 4:44:42 AM1/29/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
If you don’t mind I would love to boost my 8080 H8 so happy to build out one of them.

Sent from my iPhone

norberto.collado koyado.com

Jan 29, 2023, 2:00:49 PM1/29/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Lee Adamson – (Z80 512KB)

Scott                – (8080 64K)

Doug Renna   – (8080 64K)

Steven Feinsmith  – (Z80 512KB)

Mark Garlanger    – ( Z80 512KB)

Tim Gilberts     – (8080 64K )

Thank you! Once I get the boards, I will ask for your shipping address.

Norberto

Mark Garlanger

Jan 29, 2023, 7:53:31 PM1/29/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
After thinking about this some more, I don't think I'm going to have time to assemble and test the board, so if someone else has time and interest, they can take my spot for one of the Z80/512k boards.

Mark

norberto.collado koyado.com

Feb 1, 2023, 12:04:13 AM2/1/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Lee Adamson – (Z80 512KB)

Scott                – (8080 64K)

Doug Renna   – (8080 64K)

Steven Feinsmith  – (Z80 512KB)

TBD   – ( Z80 512KB)

Tim Gilberts     – (8080 64K

Boards shipped! 😊

dmg6385

Feb 1, 2023, 8:58:17 PM2/1/23
to SEBHC
Great !  Looking forward to this !

Lee Adamson

Feb 1, 2023, 9:55:42 PM2/1/23
to SEBHC
Hmmmm, I may have done a stupid.  I do that pretty often...

I was thinking like the z80/512k board also carried the z80 CPU, rather than just the memory.  It appears that it's purely a memory card, and the "z80" in the title was intended to mean that the card it supposed to work with a separate z80 CPU card.

As I only have an 8080 CPU at the moment, I suspect I won't be able to use this card.

Sorry for being so troublesome.  :(  I can forward it on to the next guy and eat the shipping cost since I was being stupid, or I can populate the board with what ICs I have in stock (sans the AS6C4008; I only have one spare) before forwarding it on to the next guy.  Whomever wants it, post here and then private message me a shipping address, and I'll relabel the box and send it on as soon as I get it.

Sorry again.  Argh.

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2023, 10:24:08 PM2/1/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Understandable mistake. We aren’t always the clearest in describing these boards.

The latest Z80 CPU board is Rev. 4, described here:

https://koyado.com/Heathkit/H8-Z80-64K-RTC-ORG0-V4.html

this board’s great great great great great granddaddy was  the original Heath Z80 board.  Les Bird cloned that board around 2009 and then Norberto adopted the design and led us through a series of incremental designs leading up to the rev 4.0. This board includes design elements from the H89 and also has built in real time clock, on board RAM, dual serial ports (with daughterboard) and more.

The Z80/512K RAM/MMU board is a companion board for the Rev. 4 Z80 CPU board.  It’s actually a full size version of its half-width predecessor.  Currently the only use (i.e. software) we have for this board is for CP/M Plus where it allows us to run in banked memory mode and also provides a RAM disk.  we’ve talked about developing other applications and uses for HDOS (e.g. RAM disk) but so far those ideas are on a back burner somewhere.

So  yes the 512K board is only useful if you have the Rev 4 CPU board, and then currently the only software I know of that will make use of it is in CP/M Plus.

  • Glenn

Feb 1, 2023, 11:56:33 PM2/1/23
to SEBHC
That 4x16k banking scheme is ideal for Fuzix as well, from what I understand.

norberto.collado koyado.com

Feb 3, 2023, 6:34:05 PM2/3/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

I just received the boards today. Tomorrow I will sort out to start shipping out the memory boards and the H8 brackets.

I will send out PayPal invoices for the shipping charges and if any additional costs. Also, it is easy for me to print out the labels.

Thanks,

Norberto

Feb 3, 2023, 6:57:39 PM2/3/23
to SEBHC
Great! Thanks Norberto.

JLCPCB/DHL seem to be back to speedy delivery again. I got an order in about three days this week too.

Mouser, on the other hand, missed shipping this week by 4 days. Some kind of weather event.

Scott

norberto.collado koyado.com

Feb 3, 2023, 7:28:51 PM2/3/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

I couldn’t’ resist to test out the Z180 low profile pins on the memory board. I put in the pins and soldered them. After taking the attached pictures, notice cold solder joints and reflowed them. I will test tonight on the Z180 CPU card.

It is optional to use these low profile pins. To solder them more easily is better to put them into a zip socket or an IC socket to keep them in place.

See attached pictures.

Norberto

z180-mem1.jpg
z180-mem2.jpg
z180-mem3.jpg
z180-mem4.jpg

norberto.collado koyado.com

Feb 3, 2023, 7:29:32 PM2/3/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Yes, great services and prices as well.

NORBERTO

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2023, 8:17:41 PM2/3/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Curious about your installation technique. Did you use the SIP header to hold them in place while you soldered?  Seems like something like that is needed.  Or an old “don’t care” IC would work.

  • Glenn

norberto.collado koyado.com

Feb 3, 2023, 10:03:42 PM2/3/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

It is better using a new IC (no solder on pins), to keep them in place while soldering. Here is an example.

I did try using the RAM IC, but it is hard to do as the pins are not straight.

Also, you can drop the pins into the board and put tape across side 1 to keep them in place while soldering side 2. You can come with your own technique…

This feature is only present on the Z180 CPU. I will modify the H17 board to use such technique for the VDIP1 socket to get more clearance.

Do not forget that this is optional and I learned this technique from the H89 board as there is a need to keep IC’s closed to the board as it interferes with the Video metal frame…

norberto.collado koyado.com

Feb 3, 2023, 10:28:40 PM2/3/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Big difference in height!

Lee Adamson

Feb 4, 2023, 7:38:46 AM2/4/23
to SEBHC

If it's not too late, please go ahead and allocate my board to someone else.  I suspect that I won't have a z80 cpu within a timeframe that is reasonable for your testing.  Sorry for the confusion.

smb...@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2023, 6:46:27 PM2/24/23
to SEBHC
Norberto, my boards arrived yesterday in good shape. Might build one or two of them this weekend. Thanks again!

Scott

norberto.collado koyado.com

Feb 24, 2023, 8:47:03 PM2/24/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Great! Show me some pictures when they are up and running.

Norberto