my vendor bookmarks

Glenn Roberts

Sep 1, 2021, 8:15:36 PMSep 1
to se...@googlegroups.com

Les Bird

Sep 2, 2021, 3:39:29 PMSep 2
to se...@googlegroups.com
Oh man thank you Glenn! I lost a lot of these bookmarks a long time ago when I shifted away from building boards. BG Micro!! I was trying to remember that vendor. A good source for hard to find parts from what I remember.

Les

Les Bird

Sep 2, 2021, 3:42:16 PMSep 2
to SEBHC
And just as I finish writing my reply above I go to their site (bgmicro) and see they are closed. Dang!

Les

Glenn Roberts

Sep 5, 2021, 9:20:30 AMSep 5
to se...@googlegroups.com

FYI I recently sent out a bunch of orders as part of building my H8-2020 system.  Here’s some feedback:

                Mouser, Jameco, Arcade parts & repair: excellent response.  I had my parts in only a few days

                eBay: I ordered a bunch of small stuff and have received pretty speedy response.  The 7 Seg LEDs are taking a while (from china)

                Phoenix Connectors: I love their prices and good selection but shipping is more expensive ($15) and they are slow.  They currently

                                Expect to ship my order on Tuesday but that’s a full week after I placed the order.  Also in the past they’ve limited me

                                To 15 order lines per order, so I’ve sometimes had to place more than one order (another $15 shipping charge!) just

                                To adhere to their (seemingly arbitrary) process.

                Amazon: mostly the usual quick turn around and mostly Prime stuff so no shipping cost since we’re members…

Les Bird

Sep 5, 2021, 10:33:17 AMSep 5
to SEBHC
Mouser is incredibly responsive. I'd love to see a behind-the-scenes to see how they fill their orders. I mean, I'll order 100 filter caps of a specific brand and they'll send exactly the number I ordered in a plastic bag in a box - is there some guy in a warehouse counting these by hand? Or is the whole thing automated? They have so many parts and stock such large quantities, it's got to be automated somehow I think. And they usually can fill the order the same day if I get my order in early. Very impressed with their process.

Les

Dave McGuire

Sep 5, 2021, 10:38:10 AMSep 5
to se...@googlegroups.com
On 9/5/21 10:33 AM, Les Bird wrote:
> Mouser is incredibly responsive. I'd love to see a behind-the-scenes to
> see how they fill their orders. I mean, I'll order 100 filter caps of a
> specific brand and they'll send exactly the number I ordered in a
> plastic bag in a box - is there some guy in a warehouse counting these
> by hand? Or is the whole thing automated? They have so many parts and
> stock such large quantities, it's got to be automated somehow I think.
> And they usually can fill the order the same day if I get my order in
> early. Very impressed with their process.

I seem to recall that both Mouser and DigiKey have fully-automated
robot-staffed warehouses for several years now.

Remember, individuals with small-quantity orders are but a tiny
fraction of their business.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA

Douglas Miller

Sep 5, 2021, 10:48:00 AMSep 5
to se...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, it would be interesting to see how they work. I don't think their
warehouses are completely "dark" (devoid of humans), as their
fulfillment has been impacted by COVID. But a large part of their
business is big orders, and we just happen to benefit from their
automation in that they allow us to buy, too.

I remember while working for a small micro-computer company in Seattle,
we had Radar Electric (run much like an auto-parts store) for small
orders ("OMG! We ran out of 74LS374!!!") and then companies like
Hamilton-Avnet for the bigger, longer-term, production, orders. It's
nice that in today's world, average folks can just order 1, 100, 1000,
or 1,000,000 0.1uF caps and get a "good" deal and prompt delivery.

Terry Smedley

Sep 5, 2021, 12:40:40 PMSep 5
to SEBHC
Douglas:

When were you in Seattle?

I have fond memories of Radar Electric when they were downtown on Western Ave.  A shopping trip to Radar was my first solo driving trip in 1968.  Used to go dig through their surplus stash frequently while in high school.

Terry