HDOS Bernoulli Device driver...

norberto.collado koyado.com

Apr 1, 2024, 1:57:57 AMApr 1
to se...@googlegroups.com

Hello Glenn,

I see a lot of Bernoulli Storage devices available on the internet and I wonder if you could help in enabling the attached HDOS driver before I buy one. It states that it worked under HDOS 3.0. The Bernoilli connects to the H67 card.

Thanks,

Norberto

bernouli.asm

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2024, 8:35:41 AMApr 1
to se...@googlegroups.com

Happy to help any way I can.  I don’t have one of these drives but I suppose I could pick one up.  I wonder about their reliability and availability of old media. Ironically I have a box of Iomega Zip disks and drives, including one that runs off USB (was wondering about using that with the VDIP/USB interface, but worried because the unit draws its power from USB and I’m not sure we designed for that.)

Stepping back I wonder what the value proposition is here (other than an interesting technical endeavor)? I question the value and reliability of these drives/disks for backup given their age. My own backup strategy is threefold: 1) I don’t keep “master” copies of any program source on the H8 – it’s always on my PC (backed up in the cloud and other ways); 2) I periodically back up the CF images themselves so I can always go back to a stable configuration; 3) I can back up any files I want to flash drive (e.g. I have SY0, SY1, etc. directories and a VPIP USB:=*.* periodically).  To me these are safe and reliable backup mechanisms…

  • Glenn

image001.png

norberto.collado koyado.com

Apr 1, 2024, 11:04:07 AMApr 1
to se...@googlegroups.com

I agree with you! 😊 The drives reliability could be a big problem.

Dave McGuire

Apr 2, 2024, 12:32:34 AMApr 2
to se...@googlegroups.com

My experience with pre-Zip Bernoulli drives only goes up to the 44MB
drives. They're extremely reliable; I've used hundreds of them in
probably twenty drives since the early 1990s and I've only seen maybe
two or three disks fail. In the early 1990s I used the 44MB ones at
work and the 10/20MB (8") ones at home. At work (a gov't environment)
the security people loved them because they could put disks in the
vault. Now I have a few 44MB ones connected to PDP-11s.

Media is available, often new old stock.

The Zip disks are similarly practically indestructible. They're just
the next generation of the 8" and 5.25" Bernoullis. They have a very
bad reputation due to one or two drive models having reliability issues.
Of course that's a great reason to get a bad reputation, but it was
only one or two models out of maybe ten that had problems. Yes,
occasionally they fail, but overall their reliability is extremely high.

Jaz drives are garbage, and have been since day one, suffering from
very high failure rates. Unfortunately people often conflated Zip and
Jaz drives, thinking they were somehow related (other than being from
the same manufacturer) and thought ALL of them are garbage.

The 5.25" ones went up to, I think, 230MB. I've used one 90MB drive
briefly, but as I said above, the bulk of my experience with these is
the 44MB version. They were fantastic then, and they're fantastic now.
Keep the disks and the drives clean; don't store them in a dusty
environment.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA

norberto.collado koyado.com

Apr 2, 2024, 3:23:35 AMApr 2
to se...@googlegroups.com
I see this "Bernoulli Mac Transportable" in working conditions and I wonder if same drive can be used for the PC without any FW changes.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sebhc/f67001b9-ce84-4d29-aedb-efc12cc68d4f%40neurotica.com.

norberto.collado koyado.com

Apr 2, 2024, 3:24:59 AMApr 2
to se...@googlegroups.com
Most of the drives in eBay are for parts... About 2 are functional...
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sebhc/SA3PR01MB79181BF437BAED7F502719BAF73E2%40SA3PR01MB7918.prod.exchangelabs.com.

Glenn Roberts

Apr 2, 2024, 4:59:56 AMApr 2
to se...@googlegroups.com
But most sellers of old computer items list them as “for parts” either so they don’t have to test them or to guard against unwanted returns. It’s not uncommon to buy a “parts” item and have it be perfectly functional or require only cleaning or minor repair…

Sent from my iPad

> On Apr 2, 2024, at 3:24 AM, norberto.collado koyado.com <norberto...@koyado.com> wrote:
>
> Most of the drives in eBay are for parts... About 2 are functional...
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sebhc/SA3PR01MB791821F9988FB13247842B85F73E2%40SA3PR01MB7918.prod.exchangelabs.com.

Dave McGuire

Apr 2, 2024, 12:53:18 PMApr 2
to se...@googlegroups.com

That's a SCSI drive; it'll work on pretty much anything, even a PC if
you have a SCSI host adapter. No clue about any sort of Windows support
but it might work. It works in everything else.

-Dave

Dave McGuire

Apr 2, 2024, 12:54:40 PMApr 2
to se...@googlegroups.com

And honestly, this is the way we want it. I see SO much stuff get
destroyed when a clueless user thought "I want to see if it works" and
takes no precautions about what is potentially the first power-up in
decades. Then, when smoke comes out, it hits the trash because "nobody
would want that". And the problem is almost universally an
easily-replaced capacitor.

-Dave

Norby

Apr 2, 2024, 7:15:40 PMApr 2
to SEBHC
I will like to buy one to test with the H67 controller. But I will need Glenn help to compile properly the file provided to be able to test it out.

Glenn Roberts

Apr 2, 2024, 8:09:03 PMApr 2
to <sebhc@googlegroups.com>

Tom Williams

Apr 13, 2024, 5:15:56 PMApr 13
to SEBHC
I'm swapping between different CP/M boot media, some of which expects my H19 to run at 19.2K baud and some of which expects 9600 baud.  I used to take the H19 offline and type in an escape sequence to change the baud rate.    But my Offline/Online key doesn't seem to work.   The H19 is always online.   It's certainly a better problem to have than being stuck offline, but I'd like to get this fixed so I can toggle the baud rate without opening the cover and fiddling with dip switches.

Any ideas on where I should look?

thanks,
Tom

Joseph Travis

May 9, 2024, 9:09:30 AMMay 9
to se...@googlegroups.com
I just happened to find this email in my spam folder (which I rarely check).  If no one has answered your question yet, I have a couple suggestions for you.

1. Try holding the OFFLINE key down while typing the escape sequence.

2. Create a text file (using PIE) with the escape sequence embedded. Then use CONFIGUR.COM to get CP/M to type the text file at cold boot.

Good luck!

Joe

Lee Hart

May 9, 2024, 2:16:36 PMMay 9
to se...@googlegroups.com
I seem to recall an article (in REMark?) that dealt with this. The 8250 UART has a BAUDOUT clock output (pin 15) and RCLK input (pin 9). BAUDOUT and RCLK are tied together on the CPU and TLB 8250's (so they transmit and receive that the same rates).

But if you cut these traces, and connect them to a couple of unused handshake lines between the CPU and TLB, then the CPU's 8250 sets the baud rate for its own transmitter AND the TLB's 8250 receiver (and vice versa). The baud rates can then never be different between the two.

Lee