HDOS Configur

Darrell Pelan

Mar 18, 2023, 3:10:55 PM3/18/23
to SEBHC
Hi,

Is there a way to set the terminal speed to 19.2k in HDOS 3?

Also, is there any documentation on Maple? Joe T very kindly talked me through running the program but we couldn't get the H89 to receive data from my PC. It's working fine under CP/M so it's not a hardware issue.

Thanks,

  Darrell

Joseph Travis

Mar 18, 2023, 3:28:55 PM3/18/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
I believe you will need to start with a freshly INITialized and SYSGEN'd disk.  When you boot for the first time the computer will wait for you to press the SPACEbar a few times for it to automatically determine and set the baud rate.  That baud rate will be written to disk and it will boot with that setting every time afterwards.

BR,
Joe

Glenn Roberts

Mar 18, 2023, 3:46:10 PM3/18/23
to <sebhc@googlegroups.com>
That should work, but another way is to patch the byte in the boot track where hdos "remembers" the previously set BAUD rate. For an already configured system this would be preferable. I've got to think there were REMark or BUSS writeups that talked about this back in the day, and probably a HUG utility to do it? I'd have to do some research... if I find something I'll let you know.

Mark Garlanger

Mar 18, 2023, 8:44:20 PM3/18/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
For HDOS, it is byte 5 and 6 of track 0, sector 0. Below is a photo from the Ultra ROM manual. Here it is showing to use "3" for the divisor. For 19200, it should be "6", and to verify, the current value for 9600 should be "12".

Mark

IMG_8699.jpg

pel...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2023, 9:10:17 PM3/18/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Fantastic! Thanks for finding this. I looked at the REMark index and picked up about 60 pages of patches to eliminate hitting CR during the boot process and a lot of info about disk format and directory structure.

  Darrell

For HDOS, it is byte 5 and 6 of track 0, sector 0. Below is a photo from the Ultra ROM manual. Here it is showing to use "3" for the divisor. For 19200, it should be "6", and to verify, the current value for 9600 should be "12".

Mark

image001.jpg

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2023, 9:14:46 PM3/18/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

A quick check on my HDOS 3.0 system seems to verify that this didn’t change from HDOS 2 so this should still be the patch area.  I think if you set that byte to 00 the system will prompt you with the “SPACE” prompt and then try to figure out the BAUD from the response, but that code may not test 19,200 so best to manually patch with SDUMP.

  • Glenn
image001.jpg

pel...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2023, 9:39:52 PM3/18/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Glenn! Worked like a champ on HDOS 3 and 2.

I appreciate your help.

  Darrell

image001.jpg

pel...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2023, 8:48:39 AM3/22/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Hi Joe,

I came across this in my research. I know it isn’t HDOS, but figured the app worked the same. I’m still working support issues to work on MT Modem.

Darrell

I believe you will need to start with a freshly INITialized and SYSGEN'd disk.  When you boot for the first time the computer will wait for you to press the SPACEbar a few times for it to automatically determine and set the baud rate.  That baud rate will be written to disk and it will boot with that setting every time afterwards.

BR,

Joe

MAPLE_CPM.pdf

Joseph Travis

Mar 22, 2023, 8:53:32 AM3/22/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Darrell !  Yes, I use Maple on both HDOS & CPM.  They operate the same.

Joe

norberto.collado koyado.com

Mar 22, 2023, 9:50:58 AM3/22/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

I have Maple information here:

http://koyado.com/Heathkit/Z67-IDE_HDOS_CPM.html

Norberto

Mar 22, 2023, 9:56:41 AM3/22/23
to SEBHC
Yes! That's where I got it. I thought I sent this privately...

Sorry.

  Darrell