Fw: RTTY

norberto.collado koyado.com

Sep 21, 2021, 2:35:00 PM9/21/21
to SEBHC List
Adding SEBHC for any H8 HAM radios fans...

Sep 21, 2021, 6:20:58 PM9/21/21
to SEBHC
very good Norby, once i had my H8 running i got the HD4040 and connected it to a kenwood mobile that i used as a base station and ran packet for a few years.
Alex B
K3Cim
ARRL-V/E

Steven Feinsmith

Sep 21, 2021, 9:19:58 PM9/21/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
That is great for adding SEBHC for any H8 plus H89 and H100 (non-PC compatible HAM radios fans. I learned many software and source listings for the Heathkit-based ham radios, but I could not find software archives. I fear that many Heathkit Ham users have already left the world. I have to dig through vintage magazines such as QST, 73 Magazine, and others to find the source listing, hardware, and valuable articles.

Thank you,
Steven

Steven Feinsmith

Sep 21, 2021, 10:54:14 PM9/21/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, right now, my equipment will get through inspection to ensure everything is working properly. I have to buy a dummy load before I can align the coils to bring Heathkit's specifications. The devices showed clean inside and did not smell tobacco or burned odor. The front panel showed an old call name from an owner who passed away in Florida. I have to change the call name after I get my ARRL technician and general license with a total of 70 questions possible next month or November. I work on my new device called DuinoVox by KB9RLW (available from youtube). It is an easy build device that allows me to have a rig interface with the computer's USB port and use software available for free. This method will allow my transceiver to turn into digital modes. It is possible for the H8 or H89 to work with the DuinoVox.
I discovered Heathkit did have two software for H8 or H89 during the old days. One called HDP-1010, Super CW, and HD-1020, RTTY for the Heathkit H-8 and H-89 computers. I presume there were many software, hardware, and source lists for the old Heathkit computers from the past.
Norby, you need to make a double check if your call name and license status is valid through FCC:

If your license expires then, you have to take a new exam procedure.

Thanks,
Steven

George Farris

Sep 21, 2021, 11:19:20 PM9/21/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
Hey KP4FJG this is VE7FRG :-)

Cheers Norby
George

Norberto Collado

Sep 22, 2021, 12:36:20 AM9/22/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

In Les’ HDOS collection, there is RTTY software if I recall properly. It will be a place to start looking for some nice HDOS RTTY programs.

Norby.

Norberto Collado

Sep 22, 2021, 12:36:55 AM9/22/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Thanks VE7FRG!

From: "se...@googlegroups.com" <se...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, September 21, 2021 at 8:19 PM
To: "se...@googlegroups.com" <se...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [sebhc] Fw: RTTY

Hey KP4FJG this is VE7FRG :-)

Alex - K3CIM

Sep 22, 2021, 5:13:02 PM9/22/21
to SEBHC
ALL,  i am a volunteer examiner and wish to let you know that if you have an expired license that is general, advanced, or extra
all you have to do is pass the current technician test and give a page from a call book showing your old license
and you get that license level that you had before
alex b
k3cim

norberto.collado koyado.com

Sep 22, 2021, 5:17:33 PM9/22/21
to SEBHC
Where can I find the technician test or on how to prepare for it? Do I need to do the morse code test again? I still have the HealthKit tapes and training material.

Sep 22, 2021, 8:37:01 PM9/22/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
So, if I take for example the Technician exam, then I can ask for my old call-sign; correct?

Norberto

Sep 22, 2021, 11:56:34 PM9/22/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Alex - K3CIM

Sep 23, 2021, 1:40:29 PM9/23/21
to SEBHC
Norby,  to answer your questions....
     to study for the technician test (and others) you can go to "Www.QRZ.Com"
select "resources" from the tabs across the top, then select "practice amateur exams"
course you need to register to the qrz site but there is no $$ charged.
as for getting your old call sign back that will be trickey.
after getting your technician you can put in for a Vantiy call sign of your old one.
the catch is the "region" that you got it in.
for instance, i wanted to get A7EX for alex but i saw other reguests like this being denied becuase of the Region.
and i believe that Puerto Rico is another region from where you live now. but if you have two addresses use that one.

Alex B
K3Cim

Steven Feinsmith

Sep 23, 2021, 2:28:53 PM9/23/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you are right about the region's situation that affects the vanity call sign. My best friend thought I lived in Maryland which I have to use like this W3xxx. I told him about my legal residence in Virginia. My future call sign will be W4xxx.
Thank you for the information about the practice amateur exams course for free after registering with QRZ.com. So then I can continue practicing before taking both Technician and General exams next month.

Alex, you are an expert in Ham radio.

Please if you can give me some advice before I buy Heathkit HD-3030, RTTY, and CW Interlace and HD-4040, Terminal Node Controller for my rig.

Currently, I learned about digital modes. I have a document from  Kevin Loughin's project called DuinoVOX USB digital modes interface. This method allows me to interface microphone input and audio output to convert into USB. It can insert the computer and use Ham-based computer software.

Does it mean that I do not need Heathkit HD-3030/4040 devices to allow me to enter the RTTY, CW, and other protocols? The reason is that I need visuals instead of sounds due to my handicapped as Deaf.

Thank you very much,
Steven

Thanks,
Steven

Alex - K3CIM

Sep 24, 2021, 4:01:44 PM9/24/21
to SEBHC
Steven,  i am "not" an expert....just some knowledge that i can pass along.
i would suggest that you not go for the HD terminal node controllers.....
going digital nowdays is more tricky but i have and others do other things
i would suggest that you
down load "FLDIGI"  from "www.w1hkj.com"
this will work with a sound card or as i have gotten a "signal link" that interfaces the radio with the computer.
the best thing with this software is it has MANY different modes of operation.
from CW, to pactor, to afsk, to fsk and many more.
there are other programs there but it depends on how deep you wish to get into this as all hobbies are.
73s
Alex
K3Cim

G. Beat

Sep 25, 2021, 8:30:49 AM9/25/21
to SEBHC
Computer based RTTY came to Amateur Radio by Bill Henry, K9GWT (SK, July 2019) HAL Communications in Urbana, IL
The ST-5 and ST-6 RTTY Demodulator was their first successful product (still using Teletypes, initially — then Terminals)

In 1983 packet radio (AX.25) came to amateur radio, via the TNC-1 project at Tucson Amateur Packet Radio (TAPR).

The Heathkit HD-3030 introduced in Winter 1984 , their first TNC, based on TAPR license.

AEA in the Seattle area, followed by the PK-232 Multi-Mode Controller from AEA (acquired by Timewave in 1996).
The Z-80 was used in TNC-2 design, so clone TNCs leveraged that hobbyist knowledge.

Heathkit of the Month #21 (September 2010)
by Bob Eckweiler, AF6C
HD-4040 Terminal Node Controller (TNC)

Digital Signal Processors (DSP) came to Computer Sound Cards at end of 1980s, based on Texas Instrument’s earlier work on “Speak-n-Spell” and Motorola’s work with telemetry, cell-phones, DoD contracts developed their early chipsets.

At its peak in the 1990s, before High Speed Internet (CATV cable modems) in late 1990s, multi-mode digital mode controllers combined RTTY, AX.25, and other new digital modes (PSK31) via DSP encoding.

greg
w9gb

George Farris

Sep 25, 2021, 8:36:32 PM9/25/21
to G. Beat, SEBHC
And Heathkit had the HK-232, I still have one. Man the 7805 got toasty in that thing.

Steven Feinsmith

Sep 25, 2021, 9:46:42 PM9/25/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
It was interesting information about Heathkit HK-232 as similar to AEA/Timewave Pakratt PK-232 Data controller. I checked and learned about the company, Timewave Technologies, which is still in business. They sell the device. I can see a lot of changes since Heathkit/AEA over the years. I often wonder if it is worth adding to my rig? Because I work on interfaces from my microphone input, phone, audio in/out to USB. Is it worth it to have the Timewave device?
I am sorry about your device that failed the voltage regulator. It should not be difficult to repair with a new voltage regulator and check the VR circuit to ensure they are working properly.

Steven

G. Beat

Sep 26, 2021, 10:08:44 PM9/26/21
to SEBHC
The Heath-kit HK-232 was the Kit version of the AEA PK-232.
Main PC Board is virtually identical.
Heath-kit used Rectangular LEDs for Front Panel, while AEA use standard 5mm Round LEDs.
You can upgrade the HK-232 to the latest version, Firmware upgrades, DSP, and USB access.

gb