Waking up a Trionyx based H8

Robert Litz

Jan 31, 2023, 8:55:56 PM1/31/23
to SEBHC
I have an H8 computer with a Trionyx enhanced bacplane (extra 100 pins on each slot for expanded bus),  Trionyx Z80,  Trionyx 8088 or 8086 CPU board.  Never got the 16bit CPU working.  Got CPM 86 on 8” disks for it.  Also have 8” drives.  Was thinking of waking it up.  It has been in my basement since HDOS 3.0 came out.  Any suggestion on how to start?

rw...@robhome.com

Jan 31, 2023, 9:02:00 PM1/31/23
to sebhc Google Group
Wow! That is unique. Would you be willing to share pictures of your setup? And you have CPM 86 for the Heath?
We also have a library where we are able to archive unique finds.

Rob Waggoner
________________________________
Jan 31, 2023, 9:08:20 PM1/31/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Wow. That’s quite a rare bird. Hope you can bring it up and get it running.

I’m no expert but initial thoughts: I would remove all boards and start with a basic cleaning and inspection of the system.  I know that bringing the power supply up slowly with a Variac is the recommended approach to re-form the electrolytics.  I’m embarrassed to admit I have no experience with that, but others here can guide you.  You can use the H8 assembly manual to guide you through basic power supply checkout.

Then I would look for the absolute minimum number of boards needed to get to an operational front panel, typically a CPU board and a RAM board (unless RAM is built into the CPU). Inspect before hand but also be prepared for little surprises like tantalum caps blowing.  I would start with the Z80 board and whatever memory board you’ve got.

Once you’ve got a working front panel the next step would seem to be testing memory. The older DRAM boards can be tricky.  If you have more than one memory board that could be useful as a bad memory board can keep even the front monitor from coming up.

After that just build things out step by step, presumably try to get one or both drives working – you may need to do some maintenance on the drives.

If you’ve got the Trionyx documentation that should be helpful (BTW: we might ask you to share that with the group as we don’t have much captured)

Always good to post pictures and share progress here, ask questions, etc…

Here’s an article I wrote that could be useful:

https://sebhc.github.io/sebhc/REMarks/REMarks%20Issue%201%20-%201%20December%202020.pdf

Good luck and looking forward to hearing more about this!

  • Glenn