H8 SEBHC 2022 Chassis

norberto.collado koyado.com

Aug 17, 2022, 10:07:38 PM8/17/22
to SEBHC List

I added the web page to captured the work that Terry Smedley is doing on his new H8 SEBHC 2022 Chassis prototype. Also, he did capture in CAD the new chassis for prototyping.

Link: http://koyado.com/heathkit/New-H8-Website/h8-sebhc-2022.html

His prototype contains all the new boards that we worked on it. There are no any Heath boards. He has a complex wiring as he has a lot of analog devices to control.

Thanks,

Norberto

Terry Smedley

Sep 5, 2022, 7:05:28 PM9/5/22
to SEBHC
Photographs of the completed chassis.  ProtoCase in Nova Scotia did the fabrication work from my CAD design.  Powder coated 16ga steel complete with H8-style louvers.  But I prefer Glenn's suggestion to use a clear acrylic top so you can see what's cooking inside.

Fitment was checked with the Heath and Trionyx backplanes and the pre-production model of Norberto's backplane.   Will confirm fitment of the production model of that backplane when the boards are generally available.

This case adds 1" in width and 2" in usable depth, although the overall size of the case remains at the same 16"x17" footprint of the original.

The motivation for the case design was to clean up the rat's nest of cables inside a pretty busy H8.  The bulkhead disk drive connectors keep the five drive cables organized and make moving the H8 simpler since the external drive cabinet can be easily unplugged from the bulkhead on the outside of the case.  Using that extra 1" of width, the USB and audio (HA-8-2 or HA-8-3) connections were moved up front, along with the power switch.  Four more LEDs for status/activity were also put up front at Glenn's suggestion.  A board to drive those LEDs based on bus port activity is in the works.

tas
ProtoSEBHC-4.jpg
ProtoSEBHC-2B.jpg
ProtoSEBHC-2A.jpg
ProtoSEBHC-5.jpg
ProtoSEBHC-3.jpg

Glenn Roberts

Sep 5, 2022, 7:35:00 PM9/5/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Amazing work Terry!

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 5, 2022, at 7:05 PM, Terry Smedley <terry....@gmail.com> wrote:

Photographs of the completed chassis.  ProtoCase in Nova Scotia did the fabrication work from my CAD design.  Powder coated 16ga steel complete with H8-style louvers.  But I prefer Glenn's suggestion to use a clear acrylic top so you can see what's cooking inside.
ProtoSEBHC-4.jpgProtoSEBHC-2B.jpgProtoSEBHC-2A.jpgProtoSEBHC-5.jpgProtoSEBHC-3.jpg

norberto.collado koyado.com

Sep 7, 2022, 7:08:47 AM9/7/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Very nice chassis with extra room for cable management.

Can you get a quote for 3-pcs,10-pcs, and 20 pcs for those interested?

Thank you!

Norberto

Sep 11, 2022, 9:15:54 PM9/11/22
to SEBHC
Blinkenlights!

The new case has room for four additional LED indicators.  The photo and schematic show a prototype of a simple indicator driver.  It monitors all I/O requests on the bus, then applies simple GAL logic to determine which indicator(s) to illuminate.  This approach was used for a few reasons:

- to avoid running dedicated wires between individual boards and the front panel
- to allow for flexible allocation of the indicator LEDs depending upon user preference, the project being worked, etc
- to allow for indication of activity that doesn't already have a dedicated board LED

Note that there's nothing "case specific" about this circuit - it could be used to drive up to eight LED indicators wherever you might choose to put them.

There's a short (compressed) video that shows one example of how the new indicators can be used along with the ones Norberto provided on his replacement Front Panel.  The video was taken during a copy of a large file from USB to a double-sided H17 floppy using Glenn's VPIP program.

Leftmost column of LEDs (four new ones on the case), from top to bottom:
  Red - USB activity
  Red - Serial & parallel port activity (including console)
  Green - HA-8-3 activity (not used in this demo)
  Green - HA-8-2 activity (not used in this demo)

Original "stack of five" Heath LEDs
  Green in the "5th LED" position at the top is disk activity indicator (H17/H37/H67)

Rightmost column of LEDs (five on Norberto's Front Panel), from top to bottom:
  Red - H17 side select
  Blue - 16MHz
  Yellow - 8MHz
   Green - 4MHz
    Red - 2MHz

In the video snippet taken during the USB file copy, you can see:

 - USB read alternating with floppy write

- CPU speed toggling between 16 and 2MHz for H17 access

- H17 side select toggling as blocks are written

- Brief flash of console activity as each progress mark (".") is written to the console

tas

Blinkenlights2.jpg
GAL programming.txt
H8 INDICATOR DRIVER.pdf
Blinkenlights_demo.mp4

s shumaker

Sep 11, 2022, 11:17:07 PM9/11/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
so....    is the chassis ready for orders?   Any idea what the cost would be for singles vs group buys?  I like the idea of the clear cover as an option but would definitely want the metal louver top as part of the pkg.

Steve

Terry Smedley

Sep 12, 2022, 12:03:19 AM9/12/22
to SEBHC
I'm working with ProtoCase to finalize the cost of putting a "Heath-style" logo on the front panel (see attached image).

I can give you the general range of prices:

With louvered cover:
Quantity 1, Priority turnaround (2-3 days ARO): $960.85
Quantity 3, Economy turnaround (2-3 weeks ARO): $675.62/ea
Quantity 10, Economy turnaround: $526.24/ea

With solid steel cover:
Quantity 1, Priority turnaround: $794.51
Quantity 3, Economy turnaround: $547.62/ea
Quantity 10, Economy turnaround: $429.08/ea

These prices include FedEx Priority International shipping to one US address, but do not include sales tax for those states that require it.  There is no duty payable on this merchandise classification (8538.10.0000).

Terry

Heath Logo.pdf

s shumaker

Sep 12, 2022, 4:01:52 PM9/12/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
That will look nice!  Are you far enough along to start collecting a list?  (I'm for sure up for a louvered unit)  Are the plexi tops something that can be done as a group as well?

Steve

G. Beat

Sep 12, 2022, 4:30:03 PM9/12/22
to SEBHC
These are 90 degree front panels? (Not the original slant front panel), Correct.

greg

Terry Smedley

Sep 12, 2022, 5:20:58 PM9/12/22
to SEBHC
Steve:

For the plexi top, I"d suggest sourcing 1/8" material locally.  I purchased a 24"x24" piece of 1/8" clear acrylic and cut it on a table saw to 16x17.

Terry

Terry Smedley

Sep 12, 2022, 5:22:25 PM9/12/22
to SEBHC