Wiki - How to Contribute

pbi...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2021, 5:08:46 AM11/28/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

As the “underinformed” new kid on the block – despite a fair amount of lurking, but insufficiently attending – I can probably suggest (and provide) some content enhancements that would help neophytes like me.  Not sure whether there are many of us left, but who knowz …

Is it your/our intent to operate as a come-one-come-all non-curated activity per:

https://github.com/sebhc/sebhc/wiki/How-To-Contribute

As a neophyte I’m not sure whether I should be let loose with a crayon.

Nov 29, 2021, 8:26:47 AM11/29/21
to SEBHC
Paul,

Any help would be appreciated. If you have a Github account let me know what it is and I'll give you access to update the Wiki.

Les

pbi...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2021, 8:34:12 AM11/29/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

“pbirkel” (https://github.com/pbirkel)

That said, my practical experience with GitHub is _very_ limited at the present time.

Les Bird

Nov 29, 2021, 5:21:11 PM11/29/21
to SEBHC
Understood Paul. I'm no expert at Github but getting more comfortable with it.

Invite sent.

Les

Glenn Roberts

Nov 30, 2021, 7:25:42 PM11/30/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Nor am I an expert but I’ve been finding this book useful.  I simply saw this at Barnes & Noble and bought it so didn’t do an exhaustive search, but the author tries to reduce the complicated use cases for GIT down to a relatively small set:

I see there’s also an O’Reilly book, which is probably a pretty useful reference, and likely more comprehensive:

image001.jpg
image002.jpg
image003.png

Steven Hirsch

Nov 30, 2021, 9:35:06 PM11/30/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
On 11/30/21 7:25 PM, Glenn Roberts wrote:
> Nor am I an expert but I’ve been finding this book useful. I simply saw
> this at Barnes & Noble and bought it so didn’t do an exhaustive search, but
> the author tries to reduce the complicated use cases for GIT down to a
> relatively small set:

Glenn, thanks for posting that. The book does look useful and I was able to
snag a used one from Amazon for $6.50.

pbi...@gmail.com

Dec 1, 2021, 1:00:17 AM12/1/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Glenn. I went for the O'Reilly book. $5.99 at AbeBooks (shipped, used). I've always found O'Reilly books to be well done (accessible, comprehensive); we'll see in this case.

Dec 1, 2021, 2:09:26 PM12/1/21
to SEBHC
Just an FYI there's no need to bother with the command line Git utility. You can do everything right from the Github frontend online. I do pretty much all of my editing (HTML and Wiki pages) and file uploading from the frontend.

Les