H8 Mini case design complete

32 views
Skip to first unread message

ocl...@earthlink.net

unread,
Aug 31, 2026, 10:46:31 PMAug 31
to se...@googlegroups.com

For those waiting with baited breath, I managed to complete the assembly of my 3D printable case design for Lee Hart’s H8 Mini, photos attached.

 

There is also an alternate back panel with a large opening that gives access to all PCB pads, so some testing can be done without opening the case and removing the PCB.

 

The lower sloped section mimics the similar shape on the original H8, and also serves as the battery holder.

 

The right side has an opening large enough to remove the serial adapter, or just the USB cable from the adapter. The left side has the power switch, with a cosmetic extension that looks better and is easier to use.

 

The display area can be used with 2mm thick red-tinted Plexiglas, or with a 3D printable internal bezel and any number of thinner red filters including the ones I have been making.

 

The keypad area is designed to be used with my 3D printable keycaps and key labels.

 

Once Lee is ready to start distributing this as a kit, I plan to offer several ways of kit builders obtaining some of the less common parts. For example, I have developed a way to home-brew my own red Lexan filters for the display. I will prepare a set if case assembly instructions, and will make its PDF, the PDFs for the key labels and Heathkit nameplate, and the STL files for all 3D printable parts.

 

CAVEATS:

- This case design was tailor made to precisely fit the Rev A PCB, stuffed with the parts intended by Lee Hart. Use of other sockets, etc; might result in the case not fitting. At this time, I have no plans to make a new design for any future versions of the PCB, but who knows.......

- The case is NOT designed to hold the front panel at a backwards sloping angle. Builder wanting THAT will probably wish to design their own case anyway.

 

Paul R Schmidt

****  Engineer, PS Recording  ****  Publisher, Heavy Metal Music ****

Free-Lance Tuba, Euphonium, Bass Trumpet, Serpent, Ophicleide, Cimbasso, Recorder

Editor, The Serpent Newsletter  ****  Webmaster, Serpent Website www.serpentwebsite.com

Illinois State Captain, The Wheelmen, www.thewheelmen.org

Curator, Heritage Military Music Foundation Collection of Civil War Band Instruments

www.1stbrigadeband.org

 

H8 Mini case-powered on-no software.JPG
H8 Mini case-red window.JPG
H8 Mini case-right side.JPG
H8 Mini case-back panel (closed version).JPG
H8 Mini case-front.JPG
H8 Mini case-left side.JPG

Joseph Travis

unread,
Aug 31, 2026, 11:10:19 PMAug 31
to se...@googlegroups.com
Absolutely awesome!  Thank you for your work!

Regards,
Joe 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SEBHC" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sebhc+un...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sebhc/006701dd39bc%2411b348a0%243519d9e0%24%40earthlink.net.

norberto.collado koyado.com

unread,
Aug 31, 2026, 11:25:34 PMAug 31
to se...@googlegroups.com
WOW! Great job. Lee, is working on Rev B which is a bit smaller; 5.7" x 3". 

I have Rev A. What is the price for such case?

Norby


From: se...@googlegroups.com <se...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Joseph Travis <jtravi...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, 31 August 2026 20:10:06
To: se...@googlegroups.com <se...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [sebhc] H8 Mini case design complete
 

ocl...@earthlink.net

unread,
Sep 1, 2026, 12:13:45 AMSep 1
to se...@googlegroups.com

I am not selling the cases. I will be distributing the STL files so kit builders can either print their own case parts, or have a local service print them. Same goes for the keycaps.

 

The only parts I plan on actually selling are the home-made red filter windows for the display.

 

Paul

norberto.collado koyado.com

unread,
Sep 1, 2026, 3:24:51 AMSep 1
to se...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info. On the red filter are you adding a white label to ID the LED?
From: se...@googlegroups.com <se...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of ocl...@earthlink.net <ocl...@earthlink.net>
Sent: Monday, 31 August 2026 21:13:38
To: se...@googlegroups.com <se...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: RE: [sebhc] H8 Mini case design complete
 

ocl...@earthlink.net

unread,
Sep 1, 2026, 8:16:52 AMSep 1
to se...@googlegroups.com

I could not find a way to make good-looking white legends for the red filter.

 

I figure that the 7-segment display does not really need it, and unlike the original H8 there are only two status LEDs, and one of them is POWER, so again not much need.

 

Of course, any person building their own case is free to add some more ID markings, but in my view it would look kludgy.

Dave McGuire

unread,
Sep 1, 2026, 8:56:47 AMSep 1
to se...@googlegroups.com

Absolutely fantastic work, Paul!

-Dave
> *Paul R Schmidt*
>
> ****  Engineer, /PS Recording/  ****  Publisher, /Heavy Metal Music/ ****
>
> Free-Lance Tuba, Euphonium, Bass Trumpet, Serpent, Ophicleide, Cimbasso,
> Recorder
>
> Editor, /The Serpent Newsletter / ****  Webmaster, /Serpent Website/
> www.serpentwebsite.com <http://www.serpentwebsite.com/>
>
> Illinois State Captain, /The Wheelmen/, www.thewheelmen.org <http://
> www.thewheelmen.org/>
>
> Curator, /Heritage Military Music Foundation Collection of Civil War
> Band Instruments/
>
> www.1stbrigadeband.org <http://www.1stbrigadeband.org/>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "SEBHC" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to sebhc+un...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:sebhc+un...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/
> sebhc/006701dd39bc%2411b348a0%243519d9e0%24%40earthlink.net <https://
> groups.google.com/d/msgid/
> sebhc/006701dd39bc%2411b348a0%243519d9e0%24%40earthlink.net?
> utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.


--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA

Dave McGuire

unread,
Sep 1, 2026, 8:56:49 AMSep 1
to se...@googlegroups.com
On 9/1/26 08:16, ocl...@earthlink.net wrote:
> I could not find a way to make good-looking white legends for the red
> filter.
I've only tried this on acrylic, but I do panel legends by laser
engraving and then apply a lacquer stick. I've attached an example
photo; that's the front of a Z182 CP/M system that I put together as a
"sanity preservation" project last year. As you can see, the lines are
dead sharp.

For those unfamiliar, a lacquer stick is essentially paint in
"crayon" form. You scrub it back and forth across an engraved line, and
some gets scraped off of the stick into the line. Then you wipe it off
of the top surface.

Another option would be a UV printer, but I've not yet attempted
that. My new UV printer is here but it just arrived yesterday and I've
not yet unpacked it. I'll be trying stuff like this on that printer
when I gain some proficiency with it.

-Dave
20250607_091414-sm.jpg

thego...@gmail.com

unread,
Sep 1, 2026, 2:44:29 PMSep 1
to se...@googlegroups.com

Awesome work Paul.  Looks just like the real thing!!

--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SEBHC" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sebhc+un...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sebhc/006701dd39bc%2411b348a0%243519d9e0%24%40earthlink.net.

norberto.collado koyado.com

unread,
Sep 1, 2026, 5:13:59 PMSep 1
to se...@googlegroups.com
Dave, what kind of system is this?
From: se...@googlegroups.com <se...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of thego...@gmail.com <thego...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, 01 September 2026 11:44:20
To: se...@googlegroups.com <se...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: RE: [sebhc] H8 Mini case design complete
 
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages