Disk Image Utility and HDOS

Darrell Pelan

Mar 21, 2023, 9:09:27 AM3/21/23
to SEBHC
Hi,

I'm working on adding HDOS support to the Disk Image Utility program and need a few .IMG files for testing. My source information comes from

The Heath Disk Operating System Directory Structure,  David G Pelowitz, REMark Issue 45
HDOS 3.02 Reference Manual,
Jack Rubin, May, 2003

The REMark article is very well written with detailed walkthroughs. I plan to support both HDOS 2 and 3 and hopefully fix the .H8D conversion issue with HDOS 2.

Helpful images with files would be:

 SIDES
 DENSITY  TPI  TRACKS  SPT  GROUPS  SPG Sectors Size

2             Double      48     40          10      200          4       800       204,800
2             Double      96     80          10      200          4       1600     409,600
2             Double      96     80          16      255         10      2550     652,800

Thanks,

   Darrell

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2023, 10:02:14 AM3/21/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Tom Jorgenson’s “dissecting” article from Microcomputing is also good

https://sebhc.github.io/sebhc/documentation/supplemental/HDOS_Disk.pdf

or see references in my “squeezing space” article in REMark for some other possibly related topics:

http://pestingers.net/pdfs/remark-scans/1984/remark-volume5-issue2-1984.pdf

(p. 62)

pel...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2023, 10:34:17 AM3/21/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Excellent! Thanks for additional references.

  Darrell

Darrell Pelan

Mar 22, 2023, 6:54:19 PM3/22/23
to SEBHC
ChatGPT wasn't much help
Darrell Pelan
please explain the Heath Disk Operating System disk format

The Heath Disk Operating System (HDOS) was a disk operating system used by the Heathkit H8 and H89 computers in the 1970s and 1980s. The HDOS disk format was designed to store and retrieve data on floppy disks, and it used a specific structure to organize data on the disk.

The HDOS disk format used a 5.25-inch floppy disk, which could hold up to 360 kilobytes of data. The disk was divided into 80 tracks, with each track containing 18 sectors. Each sector could hold 256 bytes of data, for a total of 4,608 bytes per track.

The first two tracks of the HDOS disk were reserved for system information, including the boot sector and directory information. The boot sector contained the code that would be loaded when the computer started up, while the directory information contained a list of files and their locations on the disk.

The remaining 78 tracks of the disk were available for storing data files. Each file was stored as a contiguous block of sectors, with a maximum file size of 65,280 bytes. Files could be organized into subdirectories, with each directory holding up to 64 files.

To access data on an HDOS disk, the computer would first read the boot sector to load the operating system into memory. The directory information could then be accessed to locate specific files on the disk.

Overall, the HDOS disk format was a relatively simple and efficient way to store and retrieve data on floppy disks, and it played an important role in the development of early personal computers.

Darrell Pelan
what files are required to be on the disk?

To boot an H8 or H89 computer using the Heath Disk Operating System (HDOS), there are certain files that must be present on the disk:

  1. BOOT - This is the bootstrap loader program that is loaded by the computer when it is started up. The BOOT program is responsible for initializing the system and loading the HDOS operating system into memory.

  2. HDOS.SYS - This is the main HDOS operating system file. It contains the core operating system code that controls the computer's hardware and manages the file system.

  3. HDOSDIR.SYS - This is the directory file that contains information about the files and directories on the disk. It is used by the operating system to locate files when they are requested.

  4. HELLO.BAS - This is a basic language program that is typically included on the disk. It is used as a simple test program to ensure that the computer and disk drive are working properly.

These files are usually located in the first two tracks of the disk, which are reserved for system information. Without these files, the computer will not be able to boot into the HDOS operating system. Additional files and programs can be added to the disk as needed for specific tasks or applications.

Darrell Pelan
Tell me about DIRECT.SYS

DIRECT.SYS is a file management utility program used with the Heath Disk Operating System (HDOS) on the Heathkit H8 and H89 computers. It provides a command-line interface for managing files and directories on floppy disks.

The DIRECT.SYS program is typically included on the HDOS disk and can be loaded into memory by typing "DIRECT" at the command prompt. Once loaded, the user can enter commands to perform various file management tasks, such as creating, copying, moving, renaming, and deleting files and directories.

Some of the commonly used commands in DIRECT.SYS include:

  • DIR: Displays a list of files and directories on the disk.
  • TYPE: Displays the contents of a text file on the screen.
  • COPY: Copies a file from one location to another.
  • RENAME: Renames a file or directory.
  • MD: Creates a new directory.
  • RD: Removes a directory.

DIRECT.SYS also supports wildcard characters, which can be used to specify multiple files or directories at once. For example, ".TXT" would match all files with the ".TXT" extension, while "DOC" would match all files and directories that start with the letters "DOC".

Overall, DIRECT.SYS is a useful tool for managing files and directories on HDOS disks, and it played an important role in the early days of personal computing when command-line interfaces were more common.

smb...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2023, 7:09:15 PM3/22/23
to SEBHC
Well at least you didn't ask Bard, which seems to be providing me some questionable information about the H8:

"compare the heathkit h8 to the olivetti m20"

The Heathkit H8 and the Olivetti M20 are both 16-bit personal computers that were released in the early 1980s. However, they have a number of differences.

The H8 is a Zilog Z8000-based system, while the M20 is a Zilog Z8001-based system. The Z8000 is a more powerful processor than the Z8001, and the H8 has more RAM and ROM than the M20.

The H8 also has a built-in disk drive, while the M20 does not. This means that the H8 can store more programs and data than the M20.

The M20 is a more portable system than the H8, and it has a built-in keyboard. The H8 does not have a built-in keyboard, and it must be connected to an external keyboard.

The H8 is a more powerful system than the M20, but it is also more expensive. The M20 is a less expensive system, but it is also less powerful.

"where did you learn the heathkit h8 uses a zilog z8000 ?"

I learned that the Heathkit H8 uses a Zilog Z8000 from the Heathkit H8 Wikipedia page.

The Wikipedia page states that the H8 was released in 1977 and used the Zilog Z8000 microprocessor. It also states that the H8 was one of the first personal computers to use the Zilog Z8000 microprocessor.

steve shumaker

Mar 22, 2023, 7:39:12 PM3/22/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
wikipedia reference is interesting - it has a few errors in it but makes no reference at all to the Z8000.

Darrell Pelan

Apr 3, 2023, 10:46:56 PM4/3/23
to SEBHC
I've posted version 1.2 of the Disk Image Utility on my Dropbox. It supports HDOS 320k and 640k Flash Floppy images. The 100k size needs a little help still. Any feedback would be appreciated.

  Darrell

Message has been deleted

Darrell Pelan

Apr 4, 2023, 11:01:29 AM4/4/23
to SEBHC
I did all my testing with HDOS 3. Apparently, HDOS 2 is not happy with the result. More to follow.

Darrell Pelan

Apr 4, 2023, 8:35:55 PM4/4/23
to SEBHC
Fixed the HDOS 2 issue. Apparently, HDOS 2 did not like DIRECT.SYS, RGT.SYS and GRT.SYS files being the first files in the directory. The zip is available at the same link Disk Image Utility. If you need an HDOS H8D file, you can create an HDOS 100k image, load the files, and then change .IMG to .H8D.

  Darrell

Douglas Miller

Apr 4, 2023, 8:40:20 PM4/4/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

That is strange, I've been creating HDOS images with DIRECT.SYS, RGT.SYS, and GRT.SYS as the first files in the directory, and not seeing any problem on HDOS 2. Although, I create them in the order: RGT.SYS, GRT.SYS, DIRECT.SYS.

Darrell Pelan

Apr 4, 2023, 8:44:05 PM4/4/23
to SEBHC
It's probably the order only. I was looking for differences between my image and one I formatted using the H89. I noticed the order, start location, and the empty directory entries start with 0xff before, the three files and used 0xfe after them. I adjusted the code for all three differences.